Movement of hot ingots.

steviered

It's a long time ago now steviered, but when I worked on the railway in the 50's, as a B.R. fireman and later as a goods guard, I was involved in a few of these ingot movements. We used to call them 'hot dogs'.

The vast majority though were further upline at English Steels on the Wicker road at Grimesthorpe. I can't remember there being a crossover road from the down goods line over to the upside at Upwell St where any ingot movement would've taken place. All movements crossing B.R. lines at Brightside and Upwell St would've had to go up to Grimesthorpe.

But like I say, it's a long time ago. Fifty seven years or thereabouts.

Does anyone have any info. or photos of heavy hot and cold ingots being moved accross the main railway line between steelworks at Brightside.

At River Don Works in the 60,s the main gate Upwell St & Brightside Lane there was a cross over track. On the north side were the Siemens furnaces and a huge forging press ,these forging went over the road to places like the South shop for machining. E.S.C had it's own rail system that ran through the whole plant. On the south side nearer to Attercliffe was where all the electric arc furnaces produced the smaller ingots for the plate mill and drop forges. I did once see a extremely heavy rail bogie that had not been coupled run across the street after the engine that was pushing it stopped. Some quick reversing by a large truck on the other side averted a crash.

Does anyone have any info. or photos of heavy hot and cold ingots being moved accross the main railway line between steelworks at Brightside.

Have a look at Picture Sheffield, search Ingots. Link below should show what you want

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;v02496&action=zoom&pos=18&id=43777&continueUrl=

Back in the 50s at Steel, Peach and Tozers, a worker fell, was pushed, or jumped into a crucible of hot steel.

The pour went on uninterrupted, and we watched those ingots passing us on the way to the rolling mill.

Nothing stopped the mills in those days, except the work's week shutdown once a year.

It's a long time ago now steviered, but when I worked on the railway in the 50's, as a B.R. fireman and later as a goods guard, I was involved in a few of these ingot movements. We used to call them 'hot dogs'.

The vast majority though were further upline at English Steels on the Wicker road at Grimesthorpe. I can't remember there being a crossover road from the down goods line over to the upside at Upwell St where any ingot movement would've taken place. All movements crossing B.R. lines at Brightside and Upwell St would've had to go up to Grimesthorpe.

But like I say, it's a long time ago. Fifty seven years or thereabouts.

Thanks for that Texas, I was a fireman too, started at Darnall in 1962, went to Canklow for a while before finishing at Tinsley.

We used to be booked a full shift for these hot and cold movements as there was a lot of hanging about waiting for a path accross the main line, all the points had to be scotched and the speed was to be no more than about 3 mph There was even a bloke who had the title of Hot and Cold Inspector. Happy days, loved every minute of it.

Back in the 50s at Steel, Peach and Tozers, a worker fell, was pushed, or jumped into a crucible of hot steel.

The pour went on uninterrupted, and we watched those ingots passing us on the way to the rolling mill.

Nothing stopped the mills in those days, except the work's week shutdown once a year.

My dad worked on the Siemens furnaces at E S C for many years and he told me that after a melt was spoilt by a man falling into the ladle ,the pour was stopped and the meta lput to one side for a time .The reason being the preparing l of steel is a bit like baking a cake , all the ingredients have to be right to turn out as you want. A body added to the mix would radically change the carbon content an probably make the steel harder than required.

Interesting to see that there was a specified turn of duty for 'hot dogs' on the GC. At Grimesthorpe it was a local 'tripper' that would pick the job up, usually 18 Trips which worked between Grimesthorpe and the Wicker. Like you steviered, I loved the job but I couldn't handle the hours. It had a bad effect on my social life.

My dad worked on the Siemens furnaces at E S C for many years and he told me that after a melt was spoilt by a man falling into the ladle ,the pour was stopped and the meta lput to one side for a time .The reason being the preparing l of steel is a bit like baking a cake , all the ingredients have to be right to turn out as you want. A body added to the mix would radically change the carbon content an probably make the steel harder than required.

Speaking as a chemist and then a steel maker of many years,what a load of rubbish.

Steel is cast at temperatures in excess of 1500 c so the body would float on top of the slag which,when casting into a ladle, is still on top of the molten steel and be cremated.

A human body contains very little carbon so the carbon content of the steel would not be affected.

Speaking as a chemist and then a steel maker of many years,what a load of rubbish.

Steel is cast at temperatures in excess of 1500 c so the body would float on top of the slag which,when casting into a ladle, is still on top of the molten steel and be cremated.

A human body contains very little carbon so the carbon content of the steel would not be affected.

If that is true,and it makes sense , then I have been misinformed and stand corrected.

Archived