Hard House/trance/hardcore/rave

Taffi

I'm trying to find somewhere that plays dance music. I don't want to know about funky house or cheesy dance music . I want the original Rave style. I know Headcharge used to do it but they seem to have disappeared. I'd prefer to stay in Sheffield rather than travel out of sheffield. Anyone know anywhere???

Theyre all very different genres but I cant really help you, I've not found too much good in Sheffield to cater for my tastes. I'm into trance and progressive, however trance is a dirty word and I wouldnt use it in the same sentence as hardcore/rave but I see where you're comin from. The only decent music nights Iv been to have been the Nu-Crasher ones (Above & Beyond next month :clap: ) and the Lethal Industry night thats promoted on here at DQ.

Main problem is a lack of suitable venues, plus time moving on and tastes changing...

But if your after hardcore - your best bet is probably Uprising at the Adelphi - its white gloves & whistle agogo and unashamedly hardcore.

Also up at the Adelphi doing one offs is Planet Zogg, which was at the Arches for a good few years - you'll get alot of trance-techno and the odd bit of psy trance, but not too much hard house or hardcore, but Zogg is probably the nearest thing to an old fashioned rave these days - next one is on sat 18th Feb.

Also worth looking out for are events at the Earl on Queens Rd where you'll find lots of smaller events with old Headcharge DJs popping up every now & again, Noggins play similar sort of tunes to Headcharge and do odd events here & there, Fatmoon who do psy trance free parties around sheffield, and the NTA who do lots of outdoor techno free parties come summer .

:)

As someone else said Noggins still plays hard dance, particularly hard house and techno (see http://www.noggins.info for more info), and Planet Zogg occasionally do psy-trance nights (see http://www.planetzogg.co.uk for announcements). There are also almost-weekly warehouse parties where you'll find Headcharge-style acid techno and in the summer regular outdoor parties. You'll need to find out the locations of the warehouse/free parties from friends. Don't expect much in January though, as with most club nights. You may find the Northern Techno Alliance's site handy.

I'd definitely second the Earl as a good place to see many of the old HC DJs and meet like minded people.

My knowledge of raving and dance music is about two and a half years out of date, but I used to be a dedicated raver until I "retired" in summer 2003. Much as though I enjoyed it, I felt that I was getting a bit too old for it. :(

*** Shameless plug alert ***

I used to be involved in a website called http://www.ush.net which was all about hardcore and raving. It was the best raving website in the UK and it's still going now, although I don't go on there any more. Check it out. :)

The hard dance scene, as far as sheffield is concerned, is on its knees.

As another poster mentioned, there just arent enough underground venues anymore. Club promoters make more money out of indie/cheese/mixmag rubbish, there's little point in the larger clubs throwing hard dance events.

Most of the old techno crowd seem to have mellowed out too, I saw Ron Atomizer not long back and while his set was good, it wasn't the crushing sound he's famed for.

Originally posted by Agent ****

Most of the old techno crowd seem to have mellowed out too, I saw Ron Atomizer not long back and while his set was good, it wasn't the crushing sound he's famed for.

Things move on - there's still lots of underground music - just not necessarily pounding techno. Its not just Sheffield- but all across the land - not saying its good or bad - just inevitable really.. no doubt in 5 years time someone will be moaning about the breaks scene dying..

I've really enjoyed Mobile Dogwash when I've seen them - probably far more than Ron's old trademark "jackhammer" style techno - but thats just my personal taste i suppose.

BTW WEIRDO is on at Zogg in feb who has produced some classic twisted hard trance/dance tunes over the years

Archived