Experience days, are they any good?

I'm looking for something different as a gift this year and I'm toying with the idea of an experience day. I've read good and bad things about them online but I wondered if anyone had any good or bad experiences they could share to help me make up my mind.

Thanks.

My wife bought me a ferrari driving experience at silverstone, they only do them on certain dates, first time I booked it I went down and found out the car had broken down, they let me do it in a Aston Martin and re booked me to come back on another day for the Ferrari,

Went to do the Ferrari again and it was cancelled due to fog, got free British touring car VIP tickets as compensation and booked again to do Ferrari which I finally did,

So good a good and bad experience I would say

My wife bought me a rally day.

I started with some skid training then a Rally driver took me on the course and I damn near mess myself, it was something between screaming and laughing.

I was then given tuition in theory and practice then it was my turn to throw the car around the track.

It was amazing, just feeling the confidence build up as you start to put the theory in to practice and see your lap times get better.

A brilliant day.

If you are planning this sort of thing, book direct with the ACTUAL supplier. You'll avoid paying the markup, and your recipient won't waste two days making phone alls to third parties trying to find available dates to marry up with times you can get off work (as I had to go through last week)

We received a spa day once too. We've been back to the same hotel and had the same thing for a fraction of what was probably paid. They were doing free taster days, and we just paid for the massages

I think expierence days are good you just need to read up what you are actually getting.

My friend recently went to silverstone and drove an aston martin and he said it was the best driving expierence he had ever had.

The problem with expierence days is its more like expierence hours because they generally do not last too long.

I am considering a expierence day for my partner actually so ill be keeping tabs on the thread.

Thank you for the replies so far.

I'm looking at perhaps a steam train or sailing trip. I know with Virgin Experiences, you buy the voucher and the recipient calls to make the booking on the time / date they want.

I just don't want to pay out loads of cash for something that's a total wash out!

Well if you do your own research on historical railways you'll find length of track, carriages, station facilities vary greatly. Do your own research, and produce your own voucher from website pics. This way you don't have to pre-book and run the risk of missing your booked day, and you get to know exactly where you're having that experience, instead of finding you have a limited choice which you couldn't see before purchase

Here's an example of booking a driving experience direct with the track owner instead of through a third party experience in a box from a retailer, who is a FOURTH party also taking a cut

http://www.msvdrivinggifts.com/how-to-book.aspx

Ps, there's a steam line near leek I've bookmarked for us to visit in the future - it might be worth you having a look at that. Track mileage seems pretty big, and the countryside there is amazing. We spent Sunday night in Leek, and we'd love to spend more time in the historic town

Bought my daughter a rally day at Seifert, near Stafford, great morning out. Bought wife a glider flight, actually at the same place, and a balloon flight some years back. Three superb events. Beware: they can become addictive! Mrs Smithy266 wants to take up ballooning!

Not a very good experience.:(:(:(:(

I had an 'Ariel Atom' day out bought for my 40th.the fastest road legal car in the world,supposadly

This was supposed to be at Donnington race track,but it was always closed for re-furb every time I tried to book for almost a year.

I ended up having to do the day at 7 sisters race track in Wigan,which is basically a go-Kart track.

It lasted about 15 mins,I wasn't allowed to change gear and the car did no more than 50mph,and there were around 10-12 other cars on the track at the same time which you were told not to overtake.

Had a better driving experience travelling to the track, drove faster and even changed gears.

Archived