Why is car price so high in the UK?

at least 50% higher than other places, be it America or Continental Europe. Why? Salaries here ain't better, if not worse.

This ex-pat in France would disagree with you.

http://www.francethisway.com/wp/buy-french-cars/2009/02/

"The real problem is that cars in France are just too expensive. I checked prices for a couple of identical models of new car between France and the UK and they were about 20-25% cheaper in the UK.."

They know people in the Uk will pay any price for the convenience offered by the car.People have become overdependent and are therefore have become exploited.They should be more resistant to the social pressures and use an alternative.The car firms know British drivers are a soft touch,mugs in fact who moan but still shell.

that's what I'm saying. it worths about 62p at the moment I guess.

so you are saying that the fluctuations on the currency markets makes the current situation. that may well be true, but that doesn't mean this is a fixed outcome. the $ has weakened over the years and the £ is doing well. We don't trade much with the USA so its neither here nor there when you come down to it. the only worthwhile comparison is with our peers, and they pay approx the same for their cars.

Archived