Have you clicked on one of the adverts on this forum?

Just wondering at the effectiveness or otherwise of the adverts on SF.

I know some people hate them and some install ad blockers to avoid them but I see them as a necessary evil, without them I doubt we'd have a forum.

But do people use them?

Have you clicked on an ad and if so what was it? Was it for something you'd previously been interested in or something new that just caught your eye?

I've only responded to one advert on here, for WWF to adopt a tiger.

I havn't clicked on any either though have been intrigued by the one of the woman with clingfilm over her face - would love to know if anyone has clicked on her as I can't see how clingfilm can get rid of her wrinkles .....not that I need to bother;)

Nope, strangely many of the adds I see are for items I've just been looking for on Google.

Some are, which allegedly, is the whole point of them but I still get adverts that are so leftfield from my browsing history that I don't believe this guff about only seeing adverts that follow your preferences.

If you put your cursor over an ad a link appears so that you hone your ad preferences. I put it to the test once. Cleared my cookies, went into the ads preference manager and deleted everything but wildlife and holidays.

Went back on SF and still the adverts for cars, credit cards and whiplash injury lawyers. Some are responsive to your browsing history but I believe some are just in a random loop.

If you'd have gone straight to the WWF website rather than clicking through the ad, WWF would have saved some money having to pay SF for the click, thus saving more animals.

I don't click any adverts on the forum because none of them are useful to me, Google ads isn't working very well lately it's not bringing up ads based on my searches, I'll have to change my settings.

Some are, which allegedly, is the whole point of them but I still get adverts that are so leftfield from my browsing history that I don't believe this guff about only seeing adverts that follow your preferences.

Me neither. Especially with the ammount of forum users who have had the 'mature dating' ladies displayed on their laptops, myself included - doesn't seem to be in line with the 'family forum' ethos.

Archived