Have you clicked on one of the adverts on this forum?

Just wondering at the effectiveness or otherwise of the adverts on SF.

I know some people hate them and some install ad blockers to avoid them but I see them as a necessary evil, without them I doubt we'd have a forum.

But do people use them?

Have you clicked on an ad and if so what was it? Was it for something you'd previously been interested in or something new that just caught your eye?

I've only responded to one advert on here, for WWF to adopt a tiger.

I did allow the adverts until that flashing one appeared regarding I-phones. I complained about it several times and it just kept coming back. My response was to block all ads. I'm pretty sure many others did for the same reason.

So the message is. If you want folk to look at the ads don't allow that sort of crap because folk will react as I did and block the lot.

I did allow the adverts until that flashing one appeared regarding I-phones. I complained about it several times and it just kept coming back. My response was to block all ads. I'm pretty sure many others did for the same reason.

So the message is. If you want folk to look at the ads don't allow that sort of crap because folk will react as I did and block the lot.

I completely agree.

It's what I did with Youtube, I could just about stand the ads before the start of videos but I was sometimes getting little video ads at the side of the screen which would just start playing as I was watching the video.

Google really should have thought it through before using this type of advertising.

Some of the adverts I see are related to the particular thread I'm on. For example, I just clicked on a cycling thread and got ads relating to bikes and cycling gear. However, when I went to the 'Church of England' thread, I got an ad for Tesco!

I also get 'Muslim Dating' ads rather than the aforementioned 'Mature Dating' ones. Explain that one!

Edited to say, no, I don't click on the ads.

Some of the adverts I see are related to the particular thread I'm on. For example, I just clicked on a cycling thread and got ads relating to bikes and cycling gear. However, when I went to the 'Church of England' thread, I got an ad for Tesco!

I also get 'Muslim Dating' ads rather than the aforementioned 'Mature Dating' ones. Explain that one!

Edited to say, no, I don't click on the ads.

It's a possibility (I'm definitely no expert in these matters)...but just possible that you may have been on a thread, or looked at a thread that just mentioned the word 'muslim'. I suppose it's entirely dependant upon the keyword tags the various sites use in their code.

Some websites have really odd keywords as tags (those are the words that the search engines pick up)...Theoretically, for instance, if Tesco's had a list of keywords, they might be something like 'shopping', groceries, food, ...etc...etc...BUT...throw the word 'sex' in there too, then there is a distinct possiblity anyone typing that word in a seach might get Tesco's, as a result!!!!...Purely hypothetical of course.

I'm perfectly willing for someone to correct me on this that knows things inside out...but that's 'as I understand it' :)

I use an ad blocking add-on for Firefox (also available for Google Chrome).

I never see any adverts on SF.

Same here, on my pc running Firefox, but on my mac (Safari) the ads are useful – for professional purposes.

It's a possibility (I'm definitely no expert in these matters)...but just possible that you may have been on a thread, or looked at a thread that just mentioned the word 'muslim'. I suppose it's entirely dependant upon the keyword tags the various sites use in their code...

There are threads on here that mention the word 'muslim'? That's a new one on me, Mr Morris.

Archived