Should we temporarily employ Chinese builders to solve our housing crisis?

On the program introduced by Dallas (Campbell?) this evening on BBC1 they showed an 18 storey block of flats to house 1000 people, being built in China in 15 days.

They are building decent enough accommodation very quickly.

We could be doing this ourselves. And once we have ample cheap accommodation we can then reduce housing benefit bills and the amount of people's wages devoted to rent. We can reduce the deficit, and increase people's disposable income.

In turn we would drive the economy, increase real living standards, allow for investment in productive things and prosper.

They are building decent enough accommodation very quickly.

We could be doing this ourselves. And once we have ample cheap accommodation we can then reduce housing benefit bills and the amount of people's wages devoted to rent. We can reduce the deficit, and increase people's disposable income.

In turn we would drive the economy, increase real living standards, allow for investment in productive things and prosper.

Dont sat "We" when all you do about the issue is get toked up and rabbit on on here....

On the program introduced by Dallas (Campbell?) this evening on BBC1 they showed an 18 storey block of flats to house 1000 people, being built in China in 15 days.

I saw this program and impressive it may be, but we have modular construction companies over here; it might be 15 days on site though they neglected to say how long including ground works, design and actual construction in factories.

As others have already said our problems with housing are more to do with finance than capability.

Look past your own front door - or try searching for cheap accommodation.

When you have your friends and family staying on your sofa it becomes apparent.

And plus 10 years wait for social housing , however scumbag ,drug smoking ,loud music ,long term dole wallers , all night party, fights in streets Jeremy Kyle wannabe's seem to get them at drop of a hat.

The partner has been on the list for 8 years, we have been trying to get somewhere for 3 years solid ( due to having Internet access made it more easy to bid ) and we get nowhere. So given up on the idea and just wait another 2 years till we reach that magic 10 year marker.

And plus 10 years wait for social housing , however scumbag ,drug smoking ,loud music ,long term dole wallers , all night party, fights in streets Jeremy Kyle wannabe's seem to get them at drop of a hat.

The partner has been on the list for 8 years, we have been trying to get somewhere for 3 years solid ( due to having Internet access made it more easy to bid ) and we get nowhere. So given up on the idea and just wait another 2 years till we reach that magic 10 year marker.

I'd recommend you keep bidding, there is still a small chance. Also register elsewhere if you are prepared to move away from Sheffield. Your likely to get something a lot quicker and perhaps better too.

These issues don't come into it, with time length bidding. If you had 9 years waiting bidding for a property that matched my bid [and circumstances i.e. family size]... with 9 years and 1 day... I would get it, regardless of whether I played loud music or smoked drugs etc.

This last sentence sounds a bit childish. If you have 8 years, keep bidding and you will get somewhere*.

*unless:

If you are only bidding for a 'good area'/and/ or large property (a long time bidder will know what I mean), then 8-10 years are pretty much the same - useless.

The magic 10-year marker you think is the 'one' will be a disappointment. However, if you bid for 'crapper' areas, then 8 years will find you a property (if you aren't unusual, say 4+ kids of mixed sexes)

Why? There's loads of unemployed people here. I've applied for 1135 jobs in the last 30 months. If there's a huge upsurge in job vacancies you don't need foreigners to fill them, there's millions of people available here.

Whether or not Chemist's ideas are ill thought out, have a look at hourly/weekly wages of cheap building labour in China (or the Middle-East).

-

Out of interest, 1135 job applications and no job?! What are applying for? (of course you don't have to answer, it just caught my attention)

Archived