Should we temporarily employ Chinese builders to solve our housing crisis?

These issues don't come into it, with time length bidding. If you had 9 years waiting bidding for a property that matched my bid [and circumstances i.e. family size]... with 9 years and 1 day... I would get it, regardless of whether I played loud music or smoked drugs etc.

This last sentence sounds a bit childish. If you have 8 years, keep bidding and you will get somewhere*.

*unless:

If you are only bidding for a 'good area'/and/ or large property (a long time bidder will know what I mean), then 8-10 years are pretty much the same - useless.

The magic 10-year marker you think is the 'one' will be a disappointment. However, if you bid for 'crapper' areas, then 8 years will find you a property (if you aren't unusual, say 4+ kids of mixed sexes)

Nope 2 kids of mixed sex, bidding on houses not too far from us in S5. I don't know what we are doing wrong ? We know people personally who have moved into 3 bedroom houses in a few weeks of being on the list.

Look past your own front door - or try searching for cheap accommodation.

When you have your friends and family staying on your sofa it becomes apparent.

And how is building more houses going to stop that? What you mean is the lack of affordable housing. There are enough properties in the UK for everyone, it's just that some people see their homes get reposessed or they can't afford rents. Building more, expensive housing isn't going to stop people becomig homeless.

They are building decent enough dangerously poor accommodation very quickly.

We could be doing this ourselves. And once we have ample cheap accommodation we can then reduce housing benefit bills and the amount of people's wages devoted to rent. We can reduce the deficit, and increase people's disposable income.

In turn we would drive the economy, increase real living standards, allow for investment in productive things and prosper.

*strikethrough/bold - words inserted by me

I don't think that throwing up dangerously unsound buildings and then having them collapse on families and school children is the way to reinvigorate our economy. Nor is an increase in government spending the way forwards at the moment.

Nope 2 kids of mixed sex, bidding on houses not too far from us in S5. I don't know what we are doing wrong ? We know people personally who have moved into 3 bedroom houses in a few weeks of being on the list.

It is some times a case of who you know.

Around where I live some very nice corner plots seem to have gone to people who shall we say are very council friendly.

No we should not employ chinese builders to come and "solve" our imaginary housing crisis.

Yes they can build whole buildings in weeks and so could anyone with such abundance of extremely poor terribly paid workers. You cant compare the process of building for example a tower block in China to building one in a fully developed country like England.

Plus who is to say the quality of the buildings they are knocking up in 15 days is any good? I doubt it is.

Chem1st maybe if you put the same effort you used to create 15000 sheffield forum posts (all somehow turned around to yap on about lack of affordable housing in sheffield) into getting a better paying job, then maybe you would be able to afford to buy a house or rent one without not been able to afford to go to meadowhall for a bit of shopping.

You seem to think Sheffield has a massive crisis, well you are wrong.

Could we do with more housing... of course we could, we have an expanding population (SADLY!). Housing developments are springing up all over, look at Catcliffe. 4000 houses are been built there. Will you be able to afford one? Probably not, but if you get off here and work a little harder then you might have a chance.

My point is this "crisis" you bleat on about is not much of a crisis. Rents in Sheffield are not that bad either. Sure they are more expensive than say Rotherham, but thats because Sheffield is a more desirable area to live. If you think rents are high up here then take a trip down south. I think you would have a heart attack.

*strikethrough/bold - words inserted by me

I don't think that throwing up dangerously unsound buildings and then having them collapse on families and school children is the way to reinvigorate our economy. Nor is an increase in government spending the way forwards at the moment.

Can you please provide evidence of the amounts of BSBs collapsing in China in nominal terms and the relative amounts compared to the amount they have built over the past 10 years.

Chem1st maybe if you put the same effort you used to create 15000 sheffield forum posts (all somehow turned around to yap on about lack of affordable housing in sheffield) into getting a better paying job, then maybe you would be able to afford to buy a house or rent one without not been able to afford to go to meadowhall for a bit of shopping.

You seem to think Sheffield has a massive crisis, well you are wrong.

Could we do with more housing... of course we could, we have an expanding population (SADLY!). Housing developments are springing up all over, look at Catcliffe. 4000 houses are been built there. Will you be able to afford one? Probably not, but if you get off here and work a little harder then you might have a chance.

My point is this "crisis" you bleat on about is not much of a crisis. Rents in Sheffield are not that bad either. Sure they are more expensive than say Rotherham, but thats because Sheffield is a more desirable area to live. If you think rents are high up here then take a trip down south. I think you would have a heart attack.

The majority of our GD growth over the past 5 years has been in 'imaginary rents'. Nearly 10% of our GDP is now rents that do no exist and are not paid. A purely fictitious number. About half of rented property rents is paid for by the state.

And a growing population is a good thing, the bad thing is that we aren't building enough housing to meet the demands of a growing population.

Archived