Allotments have become a necessity.

A forumer called cardoor provided this link. http://inhabitat.com/detroits-urban-agriculture-movement-could-help-green-the-city/

Don't see where it mentions poor blacks farming though?

Is what to emphasise a point, one the most urbanised cities home to the motor worlds trade with the worlds most urbanised residents whom are the least likely stereotyped folk to ever see in green movements have now resorted to growing their own food due to necessity.

Detroits extreme deprivation and the sheer desperation is why growing their own food became such a neccesity for its people.

The hard work ethic which used to happen in the factories for survival is now utilsed in urban farming.

Now our economic downturn, idle land, mass unemployment price rises in food, energy, our growing reliance on food banks and cutbacks is exactly why urban farming will also become a neccisty here in UK.

People don't understand it yet. They soon will.

It is sad what is happening - but it is good that people are trying to deal with the problems they face. It is these grassroots movements that do something productive and improve areas and living standards.

Some people may use them but I dont think it counts as a reliance do you?

In the quote in the OP;

Chesterton councillor Eddie Boden, the Labour-run authority's deputy leader, said: "Allotments used to be looked on as just a hobby or a project but they are now becoming a necessity for providing food for some sections of our society." Newchapel councillor Elsie Bates, cabinet member for leisure, said: "I have allotments in Talke and Kidsgrove and I'm pleased to say most tenants are young people with young families who want to get out there and grow their own fruit and vegetables. It is not old men hiding in sheds anymore.

"There are significant changes affecting demand for allotments and the way they are provided and managed.

"They are more popular and in demand than at any time in the last 20 years."

People don't understand it yet. They soon will.

It is sad what is happening - but it is good that people are trying to deal with the problems they face. It is these grassroots movements that do something productive and improve areas and living standards.

My friend has an allotment she hasnt used for a while.would you liek to work it over? her husband has more than enough tools to make it work well

Archived