Cornwall first place to reform land/poll tax in favour of it's people.

Owners who leave their properties in Cornwall empty for more than two years will have to pay 150 per cent of their council tax bill, while discounts for second home owners have been scrapped in an unprecedented move taken today.

Second home owners currently receiving a 10 per cent reduction on their council tax will be stung for potentially hundreds of pounds extra a year, after Cornwall Council today became the first local authority in the country to approve ending second home discounts.

The council's cabinet has also agreed to charge anyone leaves a property vacant and unfurnished in the county for at least two years 150 per cent of their bill, costing those with the most valuable properties around £1,500 a year extra.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/bills/article-2236318/Second-home-council-tax-discount-scrapped-Cornwall.html#ixzz2CsqPct2z

Land/poll tax a.k.a. council tax penalises the poorest in our society and benefits the wealthiest, it is fair and just that the rich pay more. 2nd home owners in Sheffield should be taxed more too, and the proceed used to build housing for the people!

Do you think 2nd homeowners should pay more? Or should they continue to pay less than tenants occupying HMOs?

Don't you get fed up of starting these repetitive threads?

Maybe if you got into a nice demanding job so you could save up to buy property, you'd have less time for this hobby horse.

I have no need to buy property, what is needed is lots of property to be available for the people at affordable rents. You cannot take property to the grave, to bases ones life on owning property would be pointless, you would not be living, you would be a slave to the system.

Its sad that you know so little about what you post links to on here...

Cornwall is by far the poorest County in the UK and there is a genuine need for low cost housing..... Taxing second home owners is a start, though not a very good one, most "second" homes are not in the places that really need housing

I have no need to buy property, what is needed is lots of property to be available for the people at affordable rents. You cannot take property to the grave, to bases ones life on owning property would be pointless, you would not be living, you would be a slave to the system.

You seem to base your life around Lack of Property - which is even more pointless seeing as you have none to talk of

I'm all for second home owners paying the same Council Tax as everyone else and I don't understand why there was ever any discount for second home owners. It just doesn't seem fair on those that live in an area full time.

I'm a second home owner with a cottage in the Cotswolds. We used to get a 10% council tax discount, but this was removed in July.

Cornwall is by far the poorest County in the UK and there is a genuine need for low cost housing..... Taxing second home owners is a start, though not a very good one, most "second" homes are not in the places that really need housing

And Sheffield S9, Darnall, is the poorest postcode area in UK.

Archived