Cycling accidents soar, time for segregated cycle lanes?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20413997

IMO segregated cycle lanes are the only answer as most car drivers just do not care, I like cycling wear florescent clothing, have flashing lights front and back and had a few near misses myself.

Now decided to jack it in and just walk or drive unless they introduce where possibel segregated cycle lanes.

Do you mean cycle lanes or cycle paths?

The problem is that both are often badly designed.

IMO, many cycle lanes are too narrow. Very few that I see are designed to the recommended width (which IIRC is 1.5m). How many do we see that wide.

Despite the problems, I am in favour of more (both lanes and paths). However, both cost a lot of money, and only get provided as part of bigger schemes with funding.

I think more opportunity could be taken by providing dual use footpaths/cyclepaths, quite cheaply. This would work best on semi urban (and often narrow) roads, where there are few pedestrians, and motor traffic is travelling comparatively quickly (30 to 40 ish). It would need to be clear that cyclists MUST give way to pedestrians.

As a family we used to go to Holland a lot when I was growing up, and one of the things that we used to do was park the car when we got there, hire bikes and get around by bike for the summer holiday, which was good for us health wise but was also really easy and safe in Holland because of their cycle path network.

I'm not sure that our towns and cities have space alongside our current road network for that sort of cycle path to be honest. In Holland there's roadways, cycle paths and footpaths with plenty of space between them, but lanes within roads aren't half as safe as paths, and that's all we'd have space for.

Sheffield is not cycle friendly, too many hills for a start, but for the guys who are fit enough, the answer is TRAINING !!!!!

They dont take a test, hold a license and by the way they filter in and out of traffic they put THEMSELVES in dangerous situations. I hold full licenses for car and motorcycle and if I drive like a moron [same as a lot of cyclists ride] then I stand to lose both licenses. I give cycles, horses, pedestrians space. I would appreciate the same courtesies from cyclists.

Compulsory training, INSURANCE, and the risk of losing their licenses would improve cyclists behaviour AND reduce the number of accidents.

Traffic laws should apply to us all, PENALTIES as well.

Sheffield is not cycle friendly, too many hills for a start, but for the guys who are fit enough, the answer is TRAINING !!!!!

They dont take a test, hold a license and by the way they filter in and out of traffic they put THEMSELVES in dangerous situations. I hold full licenses for car and motorcycle and if I drive like a moron [same as a lot of cyclists ride] then I stand to lose both licenses. I give cycles, horses, pedestrians space. I would appreciate the same courtesies from cyclists.

Compulsory training, INSURANCE, and the risk of losing their licenses would improve cyclists behaviour AND reduce the number of accidents.

Traffic laws should apply to us all, PENALTIES as well.

I couldn't agree with you more. Anyone wishing to use the roads should be insured, be they cars, lorries, cyclists and even horse riders IMO.

I agree completely with the segregated lanes PROVIDING cyclists stick to them, accept that they should abide by the highway code and that includes not coming up my inside and getting stroppy when my indicator is on to turn left.

Stopping at red lights should also be compulsory for cyclists ;) and they should know paths are for pedestrians, not bikes!!

You do realise the article is about cyclists in London.

Have you driven in London recently?

Have you experienced the cyclists in London recently??

both of them are complete mental, the car drivers will run you off the road to get a car length ahead and the cyclists have no fear or road awareness.

Archived