Cycling accidents soar, time for segregated cycle lanes?

:hihi:I knew you weren't interested in facts. There are loads and loads of statistics. If you want to ignore them go right ahead but don't pretend they don't exist.

Im sorry but you seem to think opinion is fact. give me some facts and I will accept them, give me your opinion and there will always be others with a contradictory point of view.

Im sorry but you seem to think opinion is fact. give me some facts and I will accept them, give me your opinion and there will always be others with a contradictory point of view.

if you mean my "opinion" that there are lots of stats for these accidents then yes my "opinion" is fact.

My opinion is that the proportion of bad cyclists and bad drivers will be similar. That is an opinion and I wasn't pretending it was fact.

give me some facts and I will accept them

These have been posted on here before.

You may have to register for some of these to download them. I guess these are the reports that have made up most of the recent press coverage (certainly since 2009)

This first one, remember you need to look at the stats for adult cyclists. These are based on police reported stats. They are slightly skewed when one party isn't available for interview to give there own version of events. This is usually because they are dead.

Collisions involving pedal cyclists on Britain's roads: establishing the causes

http://www.trl.co.uk/online_store/reports_publications/trl_reports/cat_road_user_safety/report_collisions_involving_pedal_cyclists_on_britain_s_roads_establishing_the_causes_.htm

Pedal cyclist collisions and casualties in Greater London

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/corporate/pedal-cyclist-collisions-and-casualities-in-greater-london-sep-2011.pdf

this is the the one that Boris get so badly wrong when he said blame for 62% of KSIs was on the cyclists disobeying the law.

He later said

I asked Transport for London to look into a statistic that I was told about during my election campaign. Its own statistics and research suggest this is not the case in London and I am pleased to be able to set the record straight on this.

Accident stats in general

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/reported-road-casualties-great-britain-main-results-2011

there are no statistics, just opinion, which makes this whole discussion rather futile.

There were statistics about who was at fault in most accidents involving bikes...

We've previously looked at statistics about injuries caused by bikes...

A way of the authorities to identify people who break the law is imperative to the safety and integrity of other road users. having idiot cyclists fined for breaking the law will mean less idiot cyclists on the road. Less idiots mean less angry drivers which means they can start shining their halo again :)

Like pedestrians.

We must rivet number plates to pedestrians to allow road safety to be enforced improved.

Scooters, kids bikes and roller skates are not road users are they :roll:

Yes, yes they are.

Have you never seen a child on a bike on a road? Or a scooter.

Or even a pedestrian on the road?

Do you get to redefine what "road user" means so that it conveniently includes only the groups you wish?

https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-to-203/the-road-user-and-the-law

Most of the provisions apply on all roads throughout Great Britain, although there are some exceptions. The definition of a road in England and Wales is ‘any highway and any other road to which the public has access and includes bridges over which a road passes’ (RTA 1988 sect 192(1)). In Scotland, there is a similar definition which is extended to include any way over which the public have a right of passage (R(S)A 1984 sect 151(1)).

It is important to note that references to ‘road’ therefore generally include footpaths, bridleways and cycle tracks, and many roadways and driveways on private land (including many car parks). In most cases, the law will apply to them and there may be additional rules for particular paths or ways. Some serious driving offences, including drink-driving offences, also apply to all public places, for example public car parks.

Archived