Cycling accidents soar, time for segregated cycle lanes?

... I pass a cyclist, giving him loads of room then I slow for lights or a junction. Next thing he is there again, inches away from me, risking his life again.

DO NOT overtake where you might come into conflict with other road users. For example

• approaching or at a road junction on either side of the road

So why did you ignore the rule and overtake before slowing immediately (as indicated by your comment of the cyclist being there "next thing") for a junction, in contravention of the rule above?

Why not just wait behind, given that you are going to be slowing or stopping anyway.

Or is it that you just want the rules (which account for filtering in queuing traffic) to only apply to other people?

they are not road users, they cross the road but do not use the road to traverse the country.

You've never walked through some of the smaller rural villages around Sheffield (and the rest of the country) with no footpath?

You've never seen the official signs in some populated areas with no footpath alerting you to the fact that pedestrians may be walking along the road?

seriously are you really that stupid or are you just playing at being thick?

Many of the attitudes towards cyclists on this forum reflects just why the accident rate is increasing tenfold, now until these drivers are either banned from driving, change their attitude then things will get worse, or maybe make it compulsory for them to cycle round a city for at least 1 week a year with us bike users as car drivers!

Hell will freeze over before a serial cyclist will admit that the roads are just too busy for them to use it safely. They blame bad driving for incidents. They ALWAYS claim the driver is at fault. Cycle lanes are the only answer to keep these modes of transport apart. Preferably in another country.

And the award for stupidist post goes to....:hihi:

The roads are too busy for people to use safely:huh:

As a driver and part-time cyclist I'd be all for this. It'd be safer for all parties.

As a part-time cyclist you're probably a much better driver than average!

---------- Post added 01-12-2012 at 22:20 ----------

It could also be viewed as a debate between motorists who are concerned and a little fed up with being carved up by the reckless and uninsured and selfish idiots who have no regard for their own, or pedestrians safety.

It all depend which side of the fence you are on.

Not all motorists are uncaring, and not all cyclists are lunatics.

Over 80% of cyclists are also motorists. It's the drivers who don't cycle on the roads who are unqualified to discuss the issues.

---------- Post added 01-12-2012 at 22:21 ----------

well why does the word insurance, taxation of cyclist always crops up??.. why does charging people make any difference to safety on the roads as a cyclist?.

its the vehicle drivers who have to have a change of attitude. ( and the mad sort of cyclists). its not about more money

Those nutty ideas are supported by the selfish drivers who want to bully cyclists off the roads because they think cyclists are holding them up. They don't notice the dozens of cars ahead of them in queues at peak times.

---------- Post added 01-12-2012 at 22:23 ----------

I saw four cyclists today going to work. Three of them had lights and hi-vis jackets. They stopped at traffic lights and conducted themselves perfectly.

The fourth was dressed scruffily, he looked like a builder or some other manual worker. He had no lights or reflectors on his bike or any bright clothing. He jumped through the lights and gave abusive gestures to the car that dared sound his horn.

You can't judge them all the same just because of the actions of those who don't follow the rules. Karma or the police will catch up with them sooner or later.

You're too smart, what's wrong with you? Are you a closet cyclist?

---------- Post added 01-12-2012 at 22:26 ----------

you see this is the reason why some cyclists do not understand how bad they can look. of the 4 you saw, 25% of them broke the law and acted like a dick. if this number of car drivers acted that way our roads would be more like carmageddon.

Look at the facts: drivers kill thousands of people per year in the UK, whereas cyclists kill 0 or 1 (rarely 2).

Even on the pavement as a pedestrian, you are 180 times more likely to be killed by a driver than by a cyclist.

---------- Post added 01-12-2012 at 22:28 ----------

lorries are a big version of the car essentially. They have an engine and weigh a lot. However they are treated differently, they have limited speed, limited hours for the driver and extra training.

This is because they can cause a lot more damage. Extrapolate that idea the other way and you will see why it is pointless to insure pedal bikes.

Excellent point.

---------- Post added 01-12-2012 at 22:29 ----------

they are not road users, they cross the road but do not use the road to traverse the country.

seriously are you really that stupid or are you just playing at being thick?

Perhaps you should be more familiar with the Highway Code, which clearly includes pedestrians in "road users".

---------- Post added 01-12-2012 at 22:38 ----------

Hell will freeze over before a serial cyclist will admit that the roads are just too busy for them to use it safely. They blame bad driving for incidents. They ALWAYS claim the driver is at fault. Cycle lanes are the only answer to keep these modes of transport apart. Preferably in another country.

That's funny, because in a previous thread you told Cyclone:

You dont use them. You have a car, which you dont use because you are a cyclist. I really do believe that sometimes its better not to give an opinion on things that one dosent actually, er, use????

So I trust you'll abstain from further comments because cycling is none of your business.

The only time ive ever had a coming together on the road was a few years back when some numpty cyclist decided to squeeze down the inside of the Range Rover at the traffic lights and scratched my motor with his bike.

I certainly don't condone that, but the law-abiding cyclists in this thread are talking about their safety and survival, and scratched paint really is much less significant in comparison.

---------- Post added 02-12-2012 at 19:56 ----------

I can see this becoming more of an issue as it gets colder. When it's icy, they don't grit the paths (or cycle paths), so I will probably be taking to the roads more for my own safety, and being watchful for icy patches on the roads too.

In my experience too, the main roads are safer in bad weather for this reason. (There tends to be less traffic than usual too.)

Archived