Cycling accidents soar, time for segregated cycle lanes?

The worst part of cycle paths/lanes in this country is that most towns are built up, with no room for them, so councils tend to split a pavement with pedestrians. Also it means cyclists have to give way at every private drive and side road that crosses the path.

As a driver would you be happy being forced to give way to every side road on your route and share your lane with pedestrians who may cut across your path with no warning?

IIRC the legal speed limit on them is 14mph. As a commuting cyclist I am capable of 25mph for extended runs.

For an insight as to why people tend not to use them check out the Warrington Cycle Campaign cycle facility of the month page.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.meg/wcc/facility-of-the-month/January2008.htm

Sheffield is not cycle friendly, too many hills for a start, but for the guys who are fit enough, the answer is TRAINING !!!!!

They dont take a test, hold a license and by the way they filter in and out of traffic they put THEMSELVES in dangerous situations. I hold full licenses for car and motorcycle and if I drive like a moron [same as a lot of cyclists ride] then I stand to lose both licenses. I give cycles, horses, pedestrians space. I would appreciate the same courtesies from cyclists.

Compulsory training, INSURANCE, and the risk of losing their licenses would improve cyclists behaviour AND reduce the number of accidents.

Traffic laws should apply to us all, PENALTIES as well.

The vast majority of cyclists injured are not injured because of their own bad riding.

What you recommend would do very little to reduce injuries, but would have a massive detrimental affect on the number of people cycling.

It could also be viewed as a debate between motorists who are concerned and a little fed up with being carved up by the reckless and uninsured and selfish idiots who have no regard for their own, or pedestrians safety.

It all depend which side of the fence you are on.

Not all motorists are uncaring, and not all cyclists are lunatics.

so back to your earlier assertion, that horse riders tend to have public liability insurance, no, they do not.

If they're using their horses on the road you'll find most adult riders do, or the stables where horses are kept may if its a loaner.

And any serious horse rider will be a member of the BHS, which offers public liability insurance: https://www.bhs.org.uk/membership

All it takes is one accusation your horse has kicked a car and you're looking at huge bills.

As a family we used to go to Holland a lot when I was growing up, and one of the things that we used to do was park the car when we got there, hire bikes and get around by bike for the summer holiday, which was good for us health wise but was also really easy and safe in Holland because of their cycle path network.

I'm not sure that our towns and cities have space alongside our current road network for that sort of cycle path to be honest. In Holland there's roadways, cycle paths and footpaths with plenty of space between them, but lanes within roads aren't half as safe as paths, and that's all we'd have space for.

you omitted to mention the fact that in a collision between a cyclist and a vehicle, the vehicle driver is ALWAYS at fault in Holland. IIRC, a cyclist is always at fault in a collision with a pedestrian. This means that ALL road users HAVE to be considerate of those more vulnerable than they are. I'd be more than happy to see that implemented here

I'm quite shocked at the aggression displayed by other drivers when we allow pedestrians with limited mobility to cross the road in pouring rain at busy times in Woodhouse. A transit even tried to overtake me for stopping at the pedestrian crossing by the library. Luckily he slammed his anchors on JUST before mowing a lady down. She looked quite shaken

It could also be viewed as a debate between motorists who are concerned and a little fed up with being carved up by the reckless and uninsured and selfish idiots who have no regard for their own, or pedestrians safety.

It could, if most of the cyclists who might post weren't motorists as well. But since they are, we know that that's not what it is.

It all depend which side of the fence you are on.

Strangely enough all the people who actually have a balanced view are on both sides.

Those who are only on one side seem to be quite often unbalanced.

Not all motorists are uncaring, and not all cyclists are lunatics.

Something you wouldn't realise reading the comments from some motorists.

Archived