Cycling accidents soar, time for segregated cycle lanes?

your quoted text is from http://www.discover-horse-carriage-driving.com

and it is their advise when horse driving, to have liability insurance, but it is not a legal requirement. horse driving, is actually different to horse riding in any case as you have the added danger of multiple horses harnessed to a carriage. This makes it much more dangerous than simply horse riding which which is what you said people had this insurance for in the first place.

so back to your earlier assertion, that horse riders tend to have public liability insurance, no, they do not.

the other link was to an insurance company...for horse owners about public liability insurance

:roll: if you don't believe me google it..............there are loads of insurance companies/web sites talking about horse owners (for riding not driving ) having public liability insurance. Use your imagination-these are half ton, unpredictable animals on roads with a fair few idiot drivers about as well as the unexpected incidents. the horses are valuable, vets are expensive and a law suit because your horse has been let out of it's field onto a main road where carnage ensues is a risk most horse owners are not willing to take.

just imagine what would happen if a car drove into a horse..........it has happened-it knocks them off their legs and they roll back across the car-its like driving under an articulated lorry.......

like I say look it up before you sneer at other posters

If this was to happen it should be made law that cyclists HAVE to ride in them ,and would not be permitted to use any other lanes to make sure they dont get in the way of us motorists .

And before it happens take a poll of attitudes, anyone with yours or a similar attitude to be banned from using the road altogether.

And before it happens take a poll of attitudes, anyone with yours or a similar attitude to be banned from using the road altogether.

Sounds like a lifesaving measure to me or are you saying cyclists should have segregated lanes and access to main roads thus maintaining the risks and defeating the object of cycling lanes?

I would assume most horses that are ridden on the road are insured. Just because there is no requirement it does not mean that people aren't doing it. There aren't many people that could afford to not insure their horse.

Looks like we know more responsible people than wex does.:)

Sounds like a lifesaving measure to me or are you saying cyclists should have segregated lanes and access to main roads thus maintaining the risks and defeating the object of cycling lanes?

Removing people with an attitude like Penistones would certainly be a life saving measure.

There are of course lots of reasons why a cyclist might wish to use the road.

The speed limit, the debris, the pedestrians, the constant need to give way, the fact that they don't go to most places that you need to go to, etc...

There are of course lots of reasons why a cyclist might wish to use the road.

Sheffield Council have a policy of not clearing cycle routes of snow or gritting them for ice as its not seen as a priority. I doubt this will change now Amey are in charge of gritting.

Meanwhile in Denmark, the cycle lanes (and pavements) get cleared before the roads.

http://www.copenhagenize.com/2010/12/ultimate-bike-lane-snow-clearance.html

the other link was to an insurance company...for horse owners about public liability insurance

:roll: if you don't believe me google it..............there are loads of insurance companies/web sites talking about horse owners (for riding not driving ) having public liability insurance. Use your imagination-these are half ton, unpredictable animals on roads with a fair few idiot drivers about as well as the unexpected incidents. the horses are valuable, vets are expensive and a law suit because your horse has been let out of it's field onto a main road where carnage ensues is a risk most horse owners are not willing to take.

just imagine what would happen if a car drove into a horse..........it has happened-it knocks them off their legs and they roll back across the car-its like driving under an articulated lorry.......

like I say look it up before you sneer at other posters

I don't have to Google anything as first hand knowledge trumps being told something and then having to Google the answer.

I works for many years in associated business the recreational horse ownership, I lived around horses most of my life and still do today. Horse owners do not have specific public liability insurance for using the road. You have it completely wrong and you are confused.

Forgive me if you think I have sneered, but being told something that is contradictory to first hand experience by someone who was "told" this was the case. Only to then have to "Google" the answer, but to present a related by wholly different example to the one discussed is rather exasperating.

Are most horse riders uninsured if their horse damages a vehicle or hurts a person then?

Horse insurance and public liability insurance are different but you do not have to have it and most do not. The horse will be insured, but that does not cover the general public.

Horse insurance works like reverse third party insurance where the rider is covered and nothing else.

A horse is more like a person or a cycle. Neither has insurance for using the road and the reason why I said they should.

Archived