Cycling accidents soar, time for segregated cycle lanes?

Sheffield Council have a policy of not clearing cycle routes of snow or gritting them for ice as its not seen as a priority. I doubt this will change now Amey are in charge of gritting.

Meanwhile in Denmark, the cycle lanes (and pavements) get cleared before the roads.

http://www.copenhagenize.com/2010/12/ultimate-bike-lane-snow-clearance.html

Denmark is a great place to ride a bike. Usable bike lanes rather than just paying lip service to the idea.

I have every sympathy for cyclists and feel more should be done to help them on the road, but the one thing that makes me mad is; nothing has been mentioned or done in real terms for years & years.....until Bradley Wiggins gets knocked off his bike.

It should not be like this, there should have been proper safety measures in place for cyclists, long before some bloke with "chads" got knocked off a bike. I know that someone said car drivers show no concern for cyclists, believe me they are just as bad with motorbikers.

Horse insurance and public liability insurance are different but you do not have to have it and most do not. The horse will be insured, but that does not cover the general public.

Horse insurance works like reverse third party insurance where the rider is covered and nothing else.

A horse is more like a person or a cycle. Neither has insurance for using the road and the reason why I said they should.

A horse is significantly bigger than either a bike or a person, and so if it causes damage or is involved in an accident it's likely to be much more severe.

The fact that insurance isn't compulsory or common suggests to me that they aren't involved in accidents often.

A horse is significantly bigger than either a bike or a person, and so if it causes damage or is involved in an accident it's likely to be much more severe.

The fact that insurance isn't compulsory or common suggests to me that they aren't involved in accidents often.

Yeah, accidents are very rare and 9/10 they are the result of other road users. A horse, just like a human will avoid danger unlike a car. Horses are much more agile than people think, having the ability to jump sideways its length. This is why car drivers should always give a horse the entire lane and slow right down when passing them.

but lets put this top bed, we have effectively sidetracked this thread enough :)

Denmark is a great place to ride a bike. Usable bike lanes rather than just paying lip service to the idea.

Is Denmark not much flatter than Sheffield ???? A bicycle is next to useless in Sheffield, far too many hills.

Why not go all the way and have rickshaws on our roads..........:loopy::loopy:

Is Denmark not much flatter than Sheffield ???? A bicycle is next to useless in Sheffield, far too many hills.

We don't need to go that far, just flatten out all the hills, that will do the trick :)

Removing people with an attitude like Penistones would certainly be a life saving measure.

There are of course lots of reasons why a cyclist might wish to use the road.

The speed limit, the debris, the pedestrians, the constant need to give way, the fact that they don't go to most places that you need to go to, etc...

Pedestrians and the need to give way ?? Cyclists pay no heed to either.

Bottom line is if cyclists followed traffic laws same as other road users there would be less accidents. I pass a cyclist, giving him loads of room then I slow for lights or a junction. Next thing he is there again, inches away from me, risking his life again. Argue all you like, bikes should be insured. Cyclists should have tests and licenses and LOSE the license if they ride dangerously.

Now thats not rocket science is it ????

Pedestrians and the need to give way ?? Cyclists pay no heed to either.

Bottom line is if cyclists followed traffic laws same as other road users there would be less accidents. I pass a cyclist, giving him loads of room then I slow for lights or a junction. Next thing he is there again, inches away from me, risking his life again. Argue all you like, bikes should be insured. Cyclists should have tests and licenses and LOSE the license if they ride dangerously.

Now thats not rocket science is it ????

I saw four cyclists today going to work. Three of them had lights and hi-vis jackets. They stopped at traffic lights and conducted themselves perfectly.

The fourth was dressed scruffily, he looked like a builder or some other manual worker. He had no lights or reflectors on his bike or any bright clothing. He jumped through the lights and gave abusive gestures to the car that dared sound his horn.

You can't judge them all the same just because of the actions of those who don't follow the rules. Karma or the police will catch up with them sooner or later.

Denmark is much flatter than Sheffield.

A bike is perfectly usable in Sheffield, any hill can be ridden up.

My bike has a range of gears to suit.

Don't understand the rickshaw comment.

Archived