Church of England

They get paid for their role, as do Bishops. Hence they are employed.

What is of more concern is that there are 26 Bishops who sit in the House of Lords.

jb

Try and sack one then....They get paid a stipend not a wage

Ive not got a problem with Bishops in the house of lords... They are cross-bnechers so it adds some sanity to politics

Its not that black & white, see my other post about my personal beliefs and whether a 2000+ year old book can still be acted upon in this day and age.

Personally I like the tradition of male clergy, but I'm not against them. I think the church should be doing more to address the gay issue, its one that's not going to go away, but the church going people who don't like the idea will, and then there will be a huge gap.

I reckon the churches of Wales and Scotland seem to have the right idea.

Its not that black & white, see my other post about my personal beliefs and whether a 2000+ year old book can still be acted upon in this day and age.

Personally I like the tradition of male clergy, but I'm not against them. I think the church should be doing more to address the gay issue, its one that's not going to go away, but the church going people who don't like the idea will, and then there will be a huge gap.

I reckon the churches of Wales and Scotland seem to have the right idea.

...and see my reply to that post here

The issue is that it isn't seen as just a job which can be performed by a man or a woman.

But lets not call all the Synod out of touch:

It needed to be a 2/3 majority, and was very close.

I take it that means that it only needs to be (just over) 1/3 minority for a "no" vote to win then? That doesn't seem very fair!

I don't see how the two are compatable.

It's just the Church of England trying to cover all bases.

If you are religious you believe in the bible, and if you are not you don't.

At the end of the day, the Anglican Church is just a hobby church set up for the convenience of a fat, philandering monarch and a huge, wealthy corporation run for the benefit of the management, at the expense of the gullible.

That's not entirely true

out of touch, a flagrant disregard for public opinion and doomed to insignificance and obscurity.

We need to remove the bishops who sit in the house of lords if this is their opinion on how things should be in the UK. there is no place for this kind of sexism in our laws.

The bishops voted in favour, it was the evangelicals and anglo-catholics, a minority, in the house of laiety that voted it down, despite a majority of church members in the parishes being in favour.

What is needed is a referendum of all the parishes directly, which I'm sure would produce an overwhelming, though not unanimous, vote in favour.

Archived