A cowardly act of violence.

Regarding justification - based on the initial evidence and subsequent explanation by the charged man, there is nothing, in my opinion, that could justify such a sickening assault. The social response to this should be punitive (with an attempt at rehabilitation).

Regarding motivation - I personally would have viewed him differently had it become apparent that he was a very ill paranoid schizophrenic and that the assault was motivated by his illness. The social response to this should be treatment (whilst obviously ensuring that society be protected from him until he was well enough to no longer pose a threat).

It can be valid to consider motivation (not justification) until a fuller explanation is available. When that explanation became available it confirmed that his actions were not beyond his ability to reasonably control.

Well I did, then you had to try and start it again. Where in that post does he say that people's views could be wrong?

EDIT: and I haven't backed any side with this issue, I'm simply discussing.

I've seen you arguing very coherently about far more important and complex issues than this. So please don't feign surprise that "both premature and foolhardy" suggests wrong.

I've seen you arguing very coherently about far more important and complex issues than this. So please don't feign surprise that "both premature and foolhardy" suggests wrong.

I know it's semantics but to me it suggests rash, not fully formed and mistaken rather than out right wrong. However, I can see others seeing it as suggesting wrong.

It doesn't suggest "wrong" to me, without a more specific indication of erroniousness(ness? :confused:) it would suggest to me that some peoples' views may have been "different" if there was such a motive, which I'm pretty sure that some would.

I think I just made up a word so it is clearly my bedtime.

(Notice I didn't pull a Smithy and say "You said "exactly" and those WEREN'T actually his EXACT words!")

I am not trying to have a dig but you do seem to be rather vexatious in your concern with this issue.Personally I am really not too worried about your views,but you seem very upset by mine.It is rather late to be on your PC and you may well benefit by a good sleep.

"A man who punched a teenage girl in the back of the head and knocked her to the ground unconscious is being hunted by police."

This has to be one of the most cowardly things i've ever seen in my life.

I hope he's quickly caught and the key is thrown away. :rant:

The very graphic video is here.

Absolutely disgusting and his excuse for doing it was unreal and unbelievable - literrally.

That's quite a presumption to make, what do you base that idea on?

When a white person is involved in an attack on a person of a different ethnicity, the police immediately presume its a racist attack.

if you search for "suspected racist attack", you will see numerous cases of people of ethnic origin who have been the victim of unprovoked attacks, where the police assume its racist. Now many may be, but that's after the police have investigated the incident and ascertained the motives.

Archived