Missing or biased news in the UK

Over recent years I have become less able to trust our news and information sources, even the BBC seems to be used as a political tool for government and the interests of the affluent. Just lately it seems to be a daily occurrence that I discover news that should be in the UK public domain and of national interest either completely missing, one sided and heavily biased or just part of the story.

Personally I make a point of checking foreign news sources to inform myself and to balance the bias a little but it does concern me that many people I speak to seem to think they are well informed and then they regurgitate the part truths and BS that the our mainstream put out, I know I am one of em but at least I know I am misinformed, some don’t.

Should SF have a section to share links to relevant current issues that our news sources appear to have overlooked?

Personally I make a point of checking foreign news sources to inform myself ?

Hmm, for example, Thailand is a really dangerous country for tourists, but many people don't realise that because the people who 'fall' from the top of their holiday hotels are always reported as suicide.

Saw one recently about a German guy, he looked to be rolled up in carpet and the news said it was suicide.

But I really don't know what can be done. News...is our only source of news, and if they don't report it, or report it wrong, there's not much that we can do about it.

This area has been covered a lot on SF. I think people should suggest alternative news sites as well as criticising the mainstream, which incidentally blew the lid off MP's expenses.

There need to be an agreed definition of bias at the start of these debates because for many bias is "I disagree with that news source so its biased" e.g. I wanted Britain to bomb Iraq and the BBC didn't sound like the Sun and scream for war so its biased.

OK, just an example, today there has been a big student protest in London and not a mention on the BBC, if there is it's well buried, and yet a headline story for Euronews and Russia Today.

That's just an example of something that looks like a controlled UK press that seems to appear daily, I don't want to get into specific stories because as you have already intimated they tend to be topics in their own right.

The BBc have covered loads of student protests.

When you say 'big' what exactly do you mean? They can't cover every single story just for coverings sake - it actually has to be newsworthy.

There is alot of International religious news I would like covered but we just have to accept that some events just aren't newsworthy enough to warrant being reported.

OK, just an example, today there has been a big student protest in London and not a mention on the BBC, if there is it's well buried, and yet a headline story for Euronews and Russia Today.

That's just an example of something that looks like a controlled UK press that seems to appear daily, I don't want to get into specific stories because as you have already intimated they tend to be topics in their own right.

A student demo isn't newsworthy enough for airtime perhaps though it did make the Evening Standard. The student riot became airtime worthy of course. Russia's media isn't untouched by government interference and intimidation and its in their interest to portray western nations as in chaos so people feel better about living in Russia.

Over recent years I have become less able to trust our news and information sources, even the BBC seems to be used as a political tool for government and the interests of the affluent. Just lately it seems to be a daily occurrence that I discover news that should be in the UK public domain and of national interest either completely missing, one sided and heavily biased or just part of the story.

Personally I make a point of checking foreign news sources to inform myself and to balance the bias a little but it does concern me that many people I speak to seem to think they are well informed and then they regurgitate the part truths and BS that the our mainstream put out, I know I am one of em but at least I know I am misinformed, some don’t.

Should SF have a section to share links to relevant current issues that our news sources appear to have overlooked?

You've only just realised the government is trying to control the press?

You've only just realised the government is trying to control the press?

It might spin but it doesn't control otherwise the BBC and ITV wouldn't be in conflict with the Tories right now.

I'd add that any news source that promotes 911 conspiracy theories or lizard rule theories isn't news.

Archived