Missing or biased news in the UK

That's just an example of something that looks like a controlled UK press that seems to appear daily

Control suggests external interference. I would say a more appropriate term would be self-censorship.

Remember Chomsky & Herman's "five filters" that determine whether a story ever makes it into the corporate news, and in what way it is covered?

Ownership, funding, sourcing, flak, and fear.

But surely it's big enough to go on the BBC regional London web page, but no not a mention.

The BBC naively though the protest was about education so it's in their education section. Looking at the protesters choice of garb flags and banners it seems mainly to be about Gaza so maybe they should have a "professional protesters hold protest" section on the site?.

But surely it's big enough to go on the BBC regional London web page, but no not a mention.

1. The protest was yesterday - so it's not too surprising that it's not on today's front page.

2. It is still the third item on the education page - so you can find it with one click from the home page and get to a number of articles on it in two clicks.

3. I remember seeing a report on the local BBC TV news a few days ago about students from the Yorkshire area preparing to go to the protest. I didn't look at the news yesterday so can't say if there was any coverage then but, as there is video of it on the web site, it's likely there was.

It seems to me that many of the complaints from people claiming bias at the BBC haven't actually looked to see if they have reported on things.

It was very well buried, even though the storey did exist despite the fact that it remains the third most read article on Euro-news.

Well perhaps people werent interested. If they were it would have turned up on the top 10 articles on right hand side of the bbc news homepage. It didn't.

News is a constantly changing medium and the BBC like every single other news source will publish and prioritise what is newsworthy and important for that particular moment.

Oh woe is me students (again) bitching and moaning about having to pay for their degrees is not news anymore.

Its just a predictable annual march with the same faces and soundbites from the talking heads at the NUS and [insert relevant opposition education minister]

"the government is slamming the doors shut on education" they preach.

Damn right they do. The public purse is not a bottomless pit. Free univeristy should NOT be for all. It should be for those who are accademically suitable to do it, everyone else should pay their own way. . That's not to say its just rich people. There are plenty of state school educated accademics but that's what sponsorships and bursaries USED to be for.

What was not a good idea was Labour's flooding of uni students with every tom dick and harry getting a degree in anything and everything including "adventure" and "horology". Now the whole thing is completely pointless.

I've got a degree? So what says employers.

You mean the BBC is the finest broadcaster in the world but it doesn't subscribe to my tiny minority anti neo liberal stance so that means it's rubbish?

No that's not what I mean, I mean the BBC has been caught numerous time lying, they covered up kiddy fiddling and still are.

You might think that's fine broadcasting but decent people don't.

Archived