Just out of Curiosity ..

WARNING the link provided here contains a 'Schematic drawing' of Curiosity's instruments. Those with a sense of humour may choke upon seeing it.

Just wondering what people think that scientists have found on Mars?

Yeah ... I know it's in the Daily Mail, but even with their coverage, it looks as if Curiosity's found something.

Why are the scientist bods not telling anyone what it is? :huh:

I must admit, I'm a little surprised that more people haven't commented on this thread.

Considering scientists are using phrases like 'Major discovery' and 'One for the history books', I'm sort of thinking that Curiosity may have found proof of life existing on another planet. Some big implications there!

This could be stuff like bacteria, an animal, fossil or maybe an artifact? (Maybe Curiosity has accidentally run over a Martian cat ... and killed it?)

I realize that NASA's not telling us what it is yet, until it's carried out further tests ... I just wish they'd get a move on!

I must admit, I'm a little surprised that more people haven't commented on this thread.

Considering scientists are using phrases like 'Major discovery' and 'One for the history books', I'm sort of thinking that Curiosity may have found proof of life existing on another planet. Some big implications there!

This could be stuff like bacteria, an animal, fossil or maybe an artifact? (Maybe Curiosity has accidentally run over a Martian cat ... and killed it?)

I realize that NASA's not telling us what it is yet, until it's carried out further tests ... I just wish they'd get a move on!

I must admit, I'm intrigued. But then again, scientists perspective about something described as 'one for the history books'...etc, may not have the same awe factor for the likes of Joe Soap.

It's a bit like the LHC, and discovering the 'god' particle. I expect scientists were positively orgasmic about that. But me, I'm thinking...errrr...yeah...but now what? Has it affected my life?...eerrrrr...nope. Or am I being somewhat cynical?

Has everyone been watching Dara O' Briain's science club on BBC2? Pretty good show so far. In the first episode they had a report about whether or not it was justified spending billions on scientific research as has been the case of the Hadron Collider.

More importantly however it also talked about the mapping of Human DNA which scientists promised at the time when completed would revolutionize modern medicine. Essentially though break-through's have been made thanks to this they haven't been as amazing as promised and the scientists admitted to lying to get the funding required to progress with the research.

Long story short, this discovery could be something history making or it could be something which NASA has exaggerated and are dragging out for publicity with the hope the interest gets them more funding. I hope it is the former but NASA has had its funding cut significantly in the last few years.

Could they have found Lord Lucan?

It's a bit like the LHC, and discovering the 'god' particle. I expect scientists were positively orgasmic about that. But me, I'm thinking...errrr...yeah...but now what? Has it affected my life?...eerrrrr...nope. Or am I being somewhat cynical?

Then it would stand to reason that they are likely to have discovered the :twisted:Devil particle :twisted:, can't have one without the other there'd be no point.

They probably only know of it's existence cause somehow in the absence of all other forms of life on the big red dead one, it must have been the devil that swiped curiosities hub caps.

Archived