Sheffield half marathon

I'm following "Running, a year round plan" by Jeff Galloway I'll be signing up, depending on the state of my legs, in mid April.

Is a 10k race (Rother Valley) a week before the half marathon advisable?

This will be my first 1/2 marathon

I do not think that is such a good idea.

With only that amount of time before the race I would be concentrating on slow and steady and maybe tapering off a bit as prep for the race day providing I had done the proper training beforehand.

I think I'm going to go for it.

I've had real bad luck with my running of late. Last May I decided to take it up again and progressed nicely running about 12 miles a week. Then my right knee locked and I had to go for a scan (the result of which was that there was nothing they could do really).

So last autumn I managed to get back out again only to have a bad dose of cold. Then this year, I started afresh only to come down with the worst bout of 'flu I can ever remember! This week I've clocked up 10.6 miles and plan to hopefully slowly increase my mileage!

I've done two Sheffield Half-Marathons. In 1987 I managed it in something like 1 hour 36 minutes; in 1997 I got round in about 1 hour 50. I'm hoping for a similar time this year.

Health (and knees) permitting of course!

I used to be a member of valley hill runners at high green. They meet on monday, wed, friday and sunday. They meet in a car park at high green. They have a web site with useful numbers. The group is small (about 30 members). You can run with them without having to join. The only time you would have to join would be if you wanted to race with them

I've happened upon this most magnificent website which will benefit anyone planning on running the half-marathon this year.

Go to http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ and enter Sheffield in the top box.

Now you can plan all your routes and the map will tell you how far it is. There's more: you can insert mile markers and even calculate the gradient of your run (which is good for running in our city). Despite what it says, the gradient facility does work!

You can do 'there and back' runs, and it will even work out calories burned if you enter your weight. You can save the maps and print them out.

Eeh, technology today eh? And I used to have to run in me slippers.

Other runners on this forum have posted links to the charities for whom they are running (and raising much needed cash).

As some of you may have read, I am running the Sheffield Half-Marathon in May and hoping to raise money for my chosen charity, Starlight.

This year, Starlight will brighten the lives of over 400,000 seriously and terminally ill children. Starlight receives neither Government nor Lottery funding and relies entirely on the generosity of people like you.

Last year I ran the 5k York City Millennium Bridge run and raised over £60. I would hope to easily beat that amount this year.

Anyone kind enough to wish to sponsor me should visit http://www.starlight.org.uk/ and go to the relevant sponsorship page. From the pull-down menu, my name and event will be listed.

My name, boys and girls is David Fairey (I tell no lie - though it goes some way into explaining why I use Ousetunes on here!!).

You will be contributing to a most worthwhile cause.

Many, many thanks.

I've happened upon this most magnificent website which will benefit anyone planning on running the half-marathon this year.

Go to http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ and enter Sheffield in the top box.

Now you can plan all your routes and the map will tell you how far it is. There's more: you can insert mile markers and even calculate the gradient of your run (which is good for running in our city). Despite what it says, the gradient facility does work!

You can do 'there and back' runs, and it will even work out calories burned if you enter your weight. You can save the maps and print them out.

Eeh, technology today eh? And I used to have to run in me slippers.

I tremendous site mate.I just checked my route and was really pleased with the milage.I think it can become addictive though.

thanks for the site been on to see how my training was going makes u feel crap when your 5 mile run is only 4.3 miles and it stil hurt but never mind

as we are on the subject of charitys as well how about mine the yorkshire cancer reserch and if you know me like some of you do the pic is werth at least a few bob so come on get yourself to http://www.justgiving.com/stevenashmore and you can have a good laugh at training :hihi: see you later

Archived