Tory says, Unemployed should take more risks

Tory, Lord Freud says, ' the unemployed should take more risks'.

More pontificating from an MP, I wonder if Lord Freud is poor?

He refuses to take part in a documentary living on benefits for a week.

He added: "you don't have to be the corpse to go to a funeral", - Charming!

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/uk/freud-poor-should-take-more-risks-16241291.html#ixzz2D0UYmAbn

I'm somewhat confused as to how someone with these views has ended up as minister for welfare reform. The only possible way to interpret his comments in any kind of practical way is that he's suggesting the unemployed sign off and start businesses. With what exactly? There are of course people who started successful businesses with tuppence happeny from their garage but they are very much the exception, I'd estimate anything less than 20 grand to invest and the probability of failure in even the lowest cost of entry market is nigh on 100%. I'm probably more inclined than many on here to give the coalition a fair crack of the whip but this does seem utterly outrageous.

Poor people need to get out in the world and make something of themselves. The benefits system disincentivises this. If we had had the benefits system in the past many of our greatest historical people would not have done the great things that they did.

You mean like William the conquorer murdering , raping and pillaging to form the present establishment? Would what he did still be legal?:roll:

I would suggest that at the very least it would be considered to be not politically correct.:(

SO.....when we are talking about taking risks, what we really mean is that we should only take risks with in the confines of tory law, which is of course VERY skewed to tories who inherited millions from their murderous ancestors.:cool:

You mean like William the conquorer murdering , raping and pillaging to form the present establishment? Would what he did still be legal?:roll:

I would suggest that at the very least it would be considered to be not politically correct.:(

SO.....when we are talking about taking risks, what we really mean is that we should only take risks with in the confines of tory law, which is of course VERY skewed to tories who inherited millions from their murderous ancestors.:cool:

UK law has developed over hundreds of years, under the auspices of various governments and has been influenced by many diverse factors. It has not been an exclusively tory project.

UK law has developed over hundreds of years, under the auspices of various governments and has been influenced by many diverse factors. It has not been an exclusively tory project.

OK. I think that the tory boy, (a millionaire at birth) who says that unemployed people should take more risks, will get his wish. Unfortunately the risks that they will feel forced to take may not be within the law. It may not affect his/her quality of life in any way, but it will impact on the lives of people whose parents were less able to provide them with a silver spoon.:(

I'm somewhat confused as to how someone with these views has ended up as minister for welfare reform. The only possible way to interpret his comments in any kind of practical way is that he's suggesting the unemployed sign off and start businesses. With what exactly? There are of course people who started successful businesses with tuppence happeny from their garage but they are very much the exception, I'd estimate anything less than 20 grand to invest and the probability of failure in even the lowest cost of entry market is nigh on 100%. I'm probably more inclined than many on here to give the coalition a fair crack of the whip but this does seem utterly outrageous.

A lot of successful businessmen like Sugar break laws when they start and often pay little tax.Alan Sugar began his firm in a Dagenham council house which may have breached the tenancy contract which forbade the running of a business.Similarly Sir Paul Sykes used a council property to break cars etc.Entrepreneurs are good at reinterpreting rules and this advice from Lord Fraud seems to advocate criminal behaviour.

Archived