Would more people smoke if ads like this were allowed?

Advertising is a massive multi billion pound industry and not one penny of it would be spent if it didn't effect the decisions people make.

Mecky, I like to think that I'm not influenced by them too but to give you an example of how it works, I cant remember my own mobile number, yet I can remember the phone number of Maincrest Car and Van Hire, from a jingle on the radio that I last heard in the 1970's.

"Maincrest car and van hire 733 3201"

Advertising is a massive multi billion pound industry and not one penny of it would be spent if it didn't effect the decisions people make.

Mecky, I like to think that I'm not influenced by them too but to give you an example of how it works, I cant remember my own mobile number, yet I can remember the phone number of Maincrest Car and Van Hire, from a jingle on the radio that I last heard in the 1970's.

"Maincrest car and van hire 733 3201"

But it also works the other way round, great ad but can't remember the product they're advertising.

We weren't aware of the dangers of smoking in 1985?

I think Ms Macbeth must have been in denial at the time. :)

In 1972 one of my teachers demonstrated how much crap goes into your lungs when smoking, I remember it was very graphic lesson with pictures of diseased lungs.

Nope, I said we weren't as aware. And cigarette packets didn't carry 'SMOKING CAN KILL' on them. :nono:

I'm an ex smoker, and I did know by the 80s it wasn't good for me, but I carried on for a while so I probably was in denial. When I was at school 50s/60s some teachers smoked in the staffroom!

Archived