Would more people smoke if ads like this were allowed?

TBH its just an advert for the rich with fit birds, crap product placement, PS cigarettes were considered to be the "high end" of the baccy market. This would result in an ad like this, all it did for me was to wish I was on holiday, almost expected Judith Chalmers to come walking out.

The majority of smokers will admit adverts never really influenced them, we started at school as told it was cool.

Teachers were smoking in staffrooms in the early 90s. I had to go in there once to use the phone and I was shocked at seeing all the teachers fagging it.

This is not a wind up what I'm saying, when at school we used to take woodwork and our teacher used to shout me and a mate into back. Once in he'd either say "gets fags out", or "here we are lads you got em out last time".

This was in the early 70's, we didn't mind it was a laugh and we were treat like adults, as we would be talked to, rather than talked at.

They were called "coffin nails" as long ago as the 1920's.

Yes they were, but everyone is too quick to blame cigarettes for everything, yes its harmful but, people live to very old age and then news says we're going to see Edie Trubshaw who's 108 today.

Edie what do you attribute your old age to, so she says "40 fags a day, and a drop of scotch".

Some people smoke for donkeys & have no major problems, some unfortunately fall ill and smoking is blamed.

I smoked Peter Stuvyesant in the 80s and I did, for a time, have a travel pass on Concorde, dozens of tanned girlfriends, a vast phallic powerboat, champagne coming out of my ears, and lots off piste helicopter skiing holidays.

Then I switched to rollies, and ended up with a mangy dog on a string, a handcart to carry my worldly possessions in, and long winter holidays in the snow drinking remaindered aftershave and burning dead rats for warmth.

I smoked Peter Stuvyesant in the 80s and I did, for a time, have a travel pass on Concorde, dozens of tanned girlfriends, a vast phallic powerboat, champagne coming out of my ears, and lots off piste helicopter skiing holidays.

Then I switched to rollies, and ended up with a mangy dog on a string, a handcart to carry my worldly possessions in, and long winter holidays in the snow drinking remaindered aftershave and burning dead rats for warmth.

That's because you'd spent all your disposable on Peter Stuyvesant and a champagne lifestyle instead of saving up for a rainy day. :roll:

Don't think I ever used them, flirted with Dunhill's in 80's, they were 3ft long and expensive in those days :hihi:

Archived