Care standards "slipping"

There is unfortunately another side to it as well and that is the homes who employ anyone that comes along and don't listen or take action when issues are brought to their attention.[/quote ,i wanted to work in care ,went into a care home ,i lasted 5 days ,i couldnt believe the lack of training they wanted to give me ,i could have hurt someone ,or myself ,but the staff were lovely and the old people ,its not there fault ,theres just not enough time to train you .

On the other hand have you heard the way some patients speak to and treat the workers ?

Unlike the staff some of these patients / residents do not realise what they are saying or how they are acting. A dementia sufferer does not know that they should not wander or swear or lash out. These people do not ask to be in this condition and carers need to remember that.

Well how dare they stop for a moment!

Do you know what, I'm going to clear off now, as there's just no point sometimes.

I dont want to look like Im having a go because Im not, but If it was your family member needing the toilet (and passed that stage) and there was a cluster of nurses etc chatting how long is a long enough break ? 5 minutes ? 10 minutes ? A shift change can take longer than ? Are you ok for your mum or dad sitting in their own filth ?

Certainly when you consider that often when an institution is assessed they have months to prepare.

You've written your post as if you speak from a position of experience or knowledge, so it would be interesting to know why you believe services have "months" to prepare for a CQC inspection. They are, in the vast majority of cases, unannounced.

Unlike the staff some of these patients / residents do not realise what they are saying or how they are acting. A dementia sufferer does not know that they should not wander or swear or lash out. These people do not ask to be in this condition and carers need to remember that.

It would be nice too if some family members visiting the elderly in hospital and care homes would help feeling the bed ridden patients , it can take over an hour to feed one patient, rotating feelings giving each patient 5 -10 min each then going back to the first one, that's the only way it can be done, family's will visit, drop off flowers but wont.hang around to help, you'll hear, oh your tray of foods here, I'll be off now.

You've written your post as if you speak from a position of experience or knowledge, so it would be interesting to know why you believe services have "months" to prepare for a CQC inspection. They are, in the vast majority of cases, unannounced.

Because that's what the manager of the care home my dad was in said. It also costs them "thousands" per bed to be assessed. Obviously as its a yearly assessment you can roughly guess when the cqc will turn up anyway.

That said, the manager in question was, as it turned out, a deceitful bully who shouldn't have been allowed to run a bath unsupervised let alone a nursing home. Still got 3 out of 3 though !

I've just checked on the report of the home my dad was in, and apparently the following was used in every criteria

"As part of our planning for routine inspection of 3 April 2012 , our inspector reviewed the information in our central database and concluded that no inspection of this standard was required.

Our previous check of this standard was based on declarations and evidence given by this care service when they registered with CQC on 30 June 2010."

I can tell you, and am in the process of telling the cqc "an inspection of this standard" and all the others mentioned is definately required and not based on something 2 years ago.

Archived