Egyptian president declares himself supreme authority

Well that didn't take long. Obviously the ceasefire negotiations with Hamas gave him time to get some Top Tips from them on how to seize power.

1. Get elected on a platform of moderation and the rule of law.

2. Award yourself complete authority over everything.

3. Shoot or jail all your opponents.

4. Sit back and enjoy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/egypt/9698457/Violence-in-Egypt-after-Morsi-assumes-sweeping-new-powers.html

Well that didn't take long. Obviously the ceasefire negotiations with Hamas gave him time to get some Top Tips from them on how to seize power.

1. Get elected on a platform of moderation and the rule of law.

2. Award yourself complete authority over everything.

3. Shoot or jail all your opponents.

4. Sit back and enjoy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/egypt/9698457/Violence-in-Egypt-after-Morsi-assumes-sweeping-new-powers.html

My own thoughts are we should have left the dictators we know in power rather than watch them topple and replaced with Islamist ones.

I believe this is Al qaeeda's plan B and the silly western countries bought into it not realising that the Islamists have realised that to acheive their aims they need to be in positions of power and that is what the so called arab spring has turned into.

A power grab by Islamists, watch what happens if/when Assad falls.

My own thoughts are we should have left the dictators we know in power rather than watch them topple and replaced with Islamist ones.

I believe this is Al qaeeda's plan B and the silly western countries bought into it not realising that the Islamists have realised that to acheive their aims they need to be in positions of power and that is what the so called arab spring has turned into.

Aside from the moral dubiousness of writing off hundreds of millions of people as needing a dictator over them, can we say this approach worked? No, it provided short term stability while increasing both support for the islamists and hatred of the west for siding with the dictators. Freedom doesn't come about overnight and the islamists in many countries have had decades of being the principle opposition to the various dictators, no surprise that they get elected and equally no surprise that they immediately try to change the rules on getting elected(remember the ISF's statements in 1991 when they hadn't even won the Algerian elections that this would be the first and last election as Allah's laws would now rule). In some countries islamist rule may last a few years, some a few decades but in time the people will get sick of them and either vote them out or revolt in the case of dictatorships. It was always going to be a two stage process, the question now is how quickly the islamists manage to lose the support of the majority now they are getting into power.

My own thoughts are we should have left the dictators we know in power

According to US Vice-President Joe Biden, Mubarak wasn't a dictator.

Joe Biden says Egypt's Mubarak no dictator, he shouldn't step down...

Understandable really, Mubarak had only been in power 30 years without any elections* and used police brutality, torture, political repression, abolition of free speech and the persecution of minorities to maintain his position.

Maybe Joe Biden could give this new guy the official US "Okey Doke" and we can stop worrying about him.

* OK, OK, there were some elections, but no one was allowed to run against him.

I have to agree there is a reason us and the US cosied up to Gaddafi and Saddam a case of the lesser of 2 evils.

Or let the counties descend into civil war on the basis of them killing each other and not us. We never should have brokered peace when Iran & Iraq were wiping each other from the face of the planet.

Archived