MP's expenses - Globetrotting for pay

At the risk of sounding like a Labour loyalist, Ed Miliband was called an expenses angel by The Telegraph.

He's been globetrotting around Rotherham today, so that blows your theory out of the water.

Far be it for me to stick up for mps (and it pains me to write this) as its lobby groups and businesses paying for it I can't get too excited about. Maybe they are going to bongobongoland to help open a market for a big employer in their constituency. Maybe they are off to durkeedurkistan to showcase their constituency so a big durkeedurkistani company will invest there. They might not all be there for a free holiday.

I bet most are though :)

The thing is Nadine whatsherface gets slagged off by her party and her whips for neglecting her constituents for a month but nobody gives a damn when someone buggers off to China for a whole month to "learn Mandarin".

There seems to be a major disconnect between who they think they work for (themselves and their party) and who they were voted in to work for (their local constituents).

Far be it for me to stick up for mps (and it pains me to write this) as its lobby groups and businesses paying for it I can't get too excited about. Maybe they are going to bongobongoland to help open a market for a big employer in their constituency. Maybe they are off to durkeedurkistan to showcase their constituency so a big durkeedurkistani company will invest there. They might not all be there for a free holiday.

I bet most are though :)

Betting is that you're not a geography teacher.

The thing is Nadine whatsherface gets slagged off by her party and her whips for neglecting her constituents for a month but nobody gives a damn when someone buggers off to China for a whole month to "learn Mandarin".

There seems to be a major disconnect between who they think they work for (themselves and their party) and who they were voted in to work for (their local constituents).

It's crap isn't it? But is it as crap as the visit that

enabled my hon. Friend to see how projects funded by the Global Conflict Prevention Pool are contributing to conflict prevention along the Belize-Guatemala border. Specifically, she was able to visit the office of the Organisation of American States, which is monitoring the disputed border area, and contributing to the resolution of local problems in the area.

Is Megg Munn your MP? At least you'd know who not to vote for next time.

Archived