Self Defence or Murder ?

The man who stabbed a gang rival to death in front of Oxford Street shoppers on Boxing Day last year, has been cleared of murder and manslaughter, on the basis that he was acting in self defence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20422995

Now I thought it was a serious crime to carry a knife these days, let alone use it to kill someone, am I missing something here ?

If it is OK to carry a knife and kill someone in self defence then surely all gang members and arguably all members of the public have been given license to carry knives, just in case :confused:

Very interesting . . . I was under the impression that when somebody joins a gang they forfeit a whole load of legal excuses (for example, if they are on scene at a killing they are culpable as they have joined the gang and share its intent, even if they didn't personally commit the crime).

Still, unless we have access to all of the evidence presented to the court, we're wasting our time debating opinion on the tabloids' exaggerations.

A questionable judgement certainly, but I suppose if we look at it from the perspective of the "victim" it makes more sense. Should violent career criminals expect the protection of the law? On paper yes, but this judgement says no. I'm not convinced either way but both arguments have merit.

The 'loss' of the dead individual is no loss - better he's dead than in and out of prison affecting other people's lives. As for the other character, I won't dispute that he acted in self defence, but he was going about armed, living a life beneath the law, and perhaps it's just lucky that he stabbed a fellow criminal rather than an innocent victim. Should be jail time for possession with intent or whatever other offence can keep him out of sunlight for a long time.

The 'loss' of the dead individual is no loss - better he's dead than in and out of prison affecting other people's lives. As for the other character, I won't dispute that he acted in self defence, but he was going about armed, living a life beneath the law, and perhaps it's just lucky that he stabbed a fellow criminal rather than an innocent victim. Should be jail time for possession with intent or whatever other offence can keep him out of sunlight for a long time.

I do agree, it's a pity they did not kill each other IMHO :D

It will be interesting to know if the killer is to face any other charges, in light of this verdict, or if he is free to roam the streets of London.

Archived