Mod in Sheffield in the 60s?

sarahkenny

Hello,

I'm a post-grad student at the University of Sheffield. I'm doing research into mod culture in Sheffield in the early to mid 1960s. I already know quite a lot about the local Sheffield music scene from earlier research. What I'm really interested in is speaking to people about their memories of being a mod at this time. This is a study about young people, culture, and class. I'd be so appreciative of anybody willing to share their memories with me! If this is something you'd like to do then send me a personal message or ask any questions you have on here. This is a brilliant way to learn something about the youth of Sheffield in the 1960s, and I'm very excited to see what I find!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello mabel lily and LA Blade,

Sorry for the delay in reply, I've had PhD proposal deadlines and unfortunately this project has had to take a backseat. I will PM both of you with a bit more information about my work and hopefully you will be able (and willing!) to help.

Thank-you both very much for getting in touch.

Kind regards,

Sarah

Hello.

I was a teenager during the 60s in Sheffield and, as I recall the city very much smaller and more compact than today. I seem to remember that all the "in crowd" knew each other and the city centre pub/club scene was very exciting and prolific - especially towards the end of the 60s. It was quite difficult to be a Mod outwardly as we lived in a very working class environment! I recall having to gradually change into "mod" gear on the 95 bus during the journey into the City from where we lived on the Woodthorpe estate - not wise to walk around there in a Union Jack jacket at that time!! My favourite haunts were the Buccaneer on Leopold street and the Cavendish club on Queens street (saw Clodah Rodgers there in 69). There are some good books in the "local interest" sections of WH Smith and Waterstones - one in particular called "Sheffield in the 60's.

Hope this helps

Steve.

---------- Post added 15-12-2012 at 11:01 ----------

I can't reply to a private message yet as I'm new to the Forum. Looking back, there was very much a class based environment in Sheffield during my "mod" years. It was just expected that I would follow my Father into the steel works so when I made it clear that my interests for my future revolved around music and history, it did not go down well with both my family and many of our friends. However, you could tell there was an air of "change" around Sheffield and of course, it wasn't long before the steel industry in Sheffield went into decline. The "mod" scene became more accepted as attitudes started to change and evolve as we motored towards the 70s. My friends and I began to be much more aware of what we were "expected" to wear and the music we should be listening to from the, still relatively new, TV and programmes such as Ready Steady Go, Top of the Pops etc. These programmes very much influenced what we wore and actually how we behaved! We would watch RSG religiously every week to see what the "in" dance was that week so that we could be bang up to date when we hit the clubs and pubs that weekend (Cavendish, Buccaneer, Mojo, Black Cat (owned by Peter Stringfellow and where the then unknown Beatles played often). I could go on and on as it was a very special and vibrant time in our lives.

Regards Steve

Hello.

I was a teenager during the 60s in Sheffield and, as I recall the city very much smaller and more compact than today. I seem to remember that all the "in crowd" knew each other and the city centre pub/club scene was very exciting and prolific - especially towards the end of the 60s. It was quite difficult to be a Mod outwardly as we lived in a very working class environment! I recall having to gradually change into "mod" gear on the 95 bus during the journey into the City from where we lived on the Woodthorpe estate - not wise to walk around there in a Union Jack jacket at that time!! My favourite haunts were the Buccaneer on Leopold street and the Cavendish club on Queens street (saw Clodah Rodgers there in 69). There are some good books in the "local interest" sections of WH Smith and Waterstones - one in particular called "Sheffield in the 60's.

Hope this helps

Steve.

---------- Post added 15-12-2012 at 11:01 ----------

I can't reply to a private message yet as I'm new to the Forum. Looking back, there was very much a class based environment in Sheffield during my "mod" years. It was just expected that I would follow my Father into the steel works so when I made it clear that my interests for my future revolved around music and history, it did not go down well with both my family and many of our friends. However, you could tell there was an air of "change" around Sheffield and of course, it wasn't long before the steel industry in Sheffield went into decline. The "mod" scene became more accepted as attitudes started to change and evolve as we motored towards the 70s. My friends and I began to be much more aware of what we were "expected" to wear and the music we should be listening to from the, still relatively new, TV and programmes such as Ready Steady Go, Top of the Pops etc. These programmes very much influenced what we wore and actually how we behaved! We would watch RSG religiously every week to see what the "in" dance was that week so that we could be bang up to date when we hit the clubs and pubs that weekend (Cavendish, Buccaneer, Mojo, Black Cat (owned by Peter Stringfellow and where the then unknown Beatles played often). I could go on and on as it was a very special and vibrant time in our lives.

Regards Steve

Cavendish ,bucaneer weren't open same time as Mojo at least 2 years after mojo shut .Beatles never appeared at Black Cat . I think that you probably had too many happy pills at that time!!

Archived