Mod in Sheffield in the 60s?

sarahkenny

I was a young married man in the early sixties. Our place on a Saturday night was usually in the City Hall ballroom dancing to Bernard Taylor's band. Then a couple of jars in the Black Swan otherwise known as the Mucky Duck.Sometimes for a change we would go to the Mecca which had only recently opened. Sometimes Sunday night a bunch of us would hire a coach and head for the Astoria ballroom in Nottingham, because Sheffield didn't permit Sunday dancing then. I worked at Davy Ashmore.

• 2 weeks later...

Can I suggest you go down to the okey cafe on Abbydale road. It's also the gathering place for a lot of the scooter lads in Sheffield. There's a lot in their 60's still attend ( on scooters ). Alternatively look on Facebook under 'south yorkshire mod society' and 'the proper yorkshire mods group' . A lot are on there.

• 2 months later...

Thanks everyone for getting in touch- I really do appreciate it. Again I have to apologise for not replying sooner but this project is now my main priority so I will be able to dedicate much more time to it. I will PM you all replies individually.

Thanks again,

Sarah

Archived