I need a rant - our legal system sucks!

It's like the, "No win, no fee," rubbish. If there's the slightest chance of doubt these representatives won't get their money, they won't support yout claim.

No "the slightest chance" but there does need to be a reasonable chance of winning, which is usually set at 50%.

Look at it this way. You have £5,000 to gamble on a sporting event. Your team will either win or lose. If you win, you'll get your money back, and a little more. If you lose, you lose it all, including your deposit.

Do you back the team if they're more likely to lose than win? Same thing here. We'd only take on a case where the prospects of winning were more than 50%, for that very reason.

If I could draw you attention to the evidence given by m'learned friend "Moosey"

It would seem to be in direct contradiction to your contention that "no-one has actually said they are forced to charge those rates". Your contention that it is solicitors firms forcing practitioners to charge exorbitant fees as opposed to his that it is the courts are two very different arguments.

Both of which leave the legal community looking like leeches.

Ok, I'll clarify it for you.

If you google "Sheffield County Court rates" you will find the rates set.

Are they set in stone? No, of course not. Do we as a rule stick to them? Yes, absolutely. We can't charge more, because we wouldn't get it.

Is there a minimum? No, and I don't think I've ever said that - I apologise if I've given that impression. That said, the minimum is set by the people we work for. I can't see it going down too well if I suddenly started saying to my bosses "Well I liked this client so I set the rate at £40 an hour". I like a lot of my clients, and after all they're running a business, meaning that if I did that, my job would be at risk. I have a house and family, so I'll do what I'm told.

Do we do pro bono? Of course we do, but see the point above. As much as I'd like to help people for free (it'd be a lovely world), it's not economic reality. The reality is this:-

The Court tell the firms what they can charge.

The Firms (partners) tell their staff what they will charge.

The staff do as they're told as we want to keep our jobs.

Harsh reality I'm afraid.

A further question - how many gardening jobs worth say £1000 do you do for free each week? Genuine question? I've struggled with cash before, but no workman ever offered their work for free to me sadly.

Well the most prestigious office buildings in all City's in England [sheffield] are occupied by the Legal Profession ,we are talking multi million property here so the money must be flowing in.

I can probably name about four or five law firms that are in flashy multi million pound property and you will find that they are all big multinationals dealing with corporate law.

The rest you will find are in quite modest accommodation that they lease - just like most businesses in the City.

Plenty of firms are outside the city centre in old shop units, office parks and even some based at home offices.

If you want to rant about wasted monies of property what about the supposed penniless "civil service". They seem to have plenty of flashy exclusive property around the city. The DWP, the Council, the Education Department, The Home Office, The HSE, the Universities and Colleges have spent millions of public money on their gleaming new premises.

Lets not forget, unlike the law firms your so keen to dig at, that money is OUR money.

I can probably name about four or five law firms that are in flashy multi million pound property and you will find that they are all big multinationals dealing with corporate law.

The rest you will find are in quite modest accommodation that they lease - just like most businesses in the City.

Plenty of firms are outside the city centre in old shop units, office parks and even some based at home offices.

If you want to rant about wasted monies of property what about the supposed penniless "civil service". They seem to have plenty of flashy exclusive property around the city. The DWP, the Council, the Education Department, The Home Office, The HSE, the Universities and Colleges have spent millions of public money on their gleaming new premises.

Lets not forget, unlike the law firms your so keen to dig at, that money is OUR money.

Do you ever get the feeling that we as a profession could give away every penny we earn and still be considered filth on here?!

Absolutely.

Makes me wonder why I actually bothered studying ILEX for 10 years at a cost of thousands to myself just to try and "help" people.

The prejudice is ridiculous. If people actually saw past the title and the media myths, it'd be great. Still that's not going to happen any time soon.

I don't have the least problem with the solicitors, barristers and legal system at all.

I do, however, have a problem with the fact that one party of a civil case can get full Legal Aid and can effectively force the other party to pay huge amounts of money that they don't have by dragging their heels, refusing to negotiate and basically just because they can and they know they can win just by bankrupting the other party whilst they don't pay a penny to do it.

That situation is nothing to do with what is 'right' or the benefits of either situation and everything to do with the inequality of whether you can pay.

In Sheffield there is Irwin Mitchell. [sheffield born and bred] Nabaro;s ? and two or three more who have the most prestigious offices in the city.

Archived