Bathroom Doors on Honeysuckle Rd?

lazarus

considering these were an upgrade so to speak, from a tin bath in front of the range, privacy when bathing wouldn't have been an issue - especially if the toilet was still outside

The toilet wasnt outside it was in the back porch entrance.

Had relatives living on Honeysuckle in the 50's and very early 60's and remember the loo / bath arrangements etc as though yesterday. Entering the back door (off the Green) the toilet was on your right (with a door of course). Directly ahead was the coal house / storage and you turned left into the kitchen. Directly opposite your entrance to the kitchen was the bath with covering hardboard when not in use. Immediately to your left on entering the kitchen was a gas boiler (copper)? - then the sink and cooker from memory. So in a nutshell - if you wanted a bath the only doors were the 'inside' back door and the door leading into the living room - putting the kitchen out of bounds for the duration. Hope this helps - by the way they lived opposite 2 police houses / wonder if still there?

We lived on Lansdowne Rd in the fifties. Bathtime was the tin bath in front of the fire. It was a three storey house and it was decided to make one of the attic rooms a bathroom. It got as far as having 'bathroom' painted on the door, and no further. Our next house in a Derbyshire village had the bath in the kitchen, covered with a wooden lid when not in use. The toilet was outside down some steps and was horrible.

It was the height of luxury when we finally got a house with a proper bathroom and indoor toilet.

• 5 months later...
Had relatives living on Honeysuckle in the 50's and very early 60's and remember the loo / bath arrangements etc as though yesterday. Entering the back door (off the Green) the toilet was on your right (with a door of course). Directly ahead was the coal house / storage and you turned left into the kitchen. Directly opposite your entrance to the kitchen was the bath with covering hardboard when not in use. Immediately to your left on entering the kitchen was a gas boiler (copper)? - then the sink and cooker from memory. So in a nutshell - if you wanted a bath the only doors were the 'inside' back door and the door leading into the living room - putting the kitchen out of bounds for the duration. Hope this helps - by the way they lived opposite 2 police houses / wonder if still there?

Exactly as I remember Beady, dreadful arrangement, and as the eldest and only girl bath night was fight night for anyone who dared peep.

This may seem a daft question but I was talking to a mate in the pub last night and he told me that when he lived on Honeysuckle Rd on the flower estate in the late forties and the fifties their downstair bathroom didnt have a door fitted and all the houses on the estate didnt have bathroom doors. I found this very hard to believe, so could someone say as to wether whats he remembers is true.

true the one I saw in the kitchen the bath was built in the floor it had got a board over the top the house was a school friend lived 2or3 doors up from windmill lane

Bloody bunch of show offs bathroom indeed now my my mother use to tell us to go and swim in the Don and all those nice chemicals from the steel works would burn the dirt off ,well for maybe a day at least

Archived