Portable DAB radios

I've got one at home, but not a portable one. It's one with a CD player, and MP3 player etc built in. I find the scanning of DAB (to find the sations) to be ridiculously complicated. It's not even remotely obvious, and quite a complex procedure, which can only be done via the remote.

I guess it depends on personal experience and location. At home, I've found DAB reception and choice of stations to be far better than AM/FM, and I even use my DAB portable in the car. Sibon makes a good point about batteries. At work I tend to listen to the radio via the internet.

Alternative view: get used to it. DAB's development now is where FM's was, just before it became available just about everywhere.

But FM wasn't competing with other distribution methods, in particular the internet. And when FM launched, the first commercial stations had nowhere near as much competition for advertising revenue as today. In those days, if you wanted to advertise a business, your choices were radio, newspaper, or ITV. Now there are many more channels, in particular the internet which is more cost effective as you can target your ads.

I've got one at home, but not a portable one. It's one with a CD player, and MP3 player etc built in. I find the scanning of DAB (to find the sations) to be ridiculously complicated. It's not even remotely obvious, and quite a complex procedure, which can only be done via the remote.

It will be one of the Ukrainian models with cyriilic instructions,or perhaps it was a boot-sale purchase?

But FM wasn't competing with other distribution methods, in particular the internet. And when FM launched, the first commercial stations had nowhere near as much competition for advertising revenue as today. In those days, if you wanted to advertise a business, your choices were radio, newspaper, or ITV. Now there are many more channels, in particular the internet which is more cost effective as you can target your ads.

Presumably FM didn't have to compete against an established system that worked perfectly well, had been built into every stereo for 20 years and most importantly (I think) was in every car on the road.

Presumably FM didn't have to compete against an established system that worked perfectly well, had been built into every stereo for 20 years and most importantly (I think) was in every car on the road.

Yes, that too.

And it didn't have to compete against MP3 players and the ability to download pretty much any song you want.

There used to be a problem with DAB in that you couldn't move the radio without losing the signal.

So "portable" meant you could move it somewhere, put it down then listen to it rather than carry it about in your pocket and listen at the same time.

Has this problem been solved now ?

Archived