Portable DAB radios

Well car radios tend to be a bit pricier, and as far, I know they have extra electronics to cater for the vehicles movement disrupting the signal and I wouldn't really call them portable.

For me portable is something you carry.

You can get an FM radio for a fiver that fits on a keyring and gives reasonable reception while you wander around.

A basic test would be put the radio down, turn it on and tune it in, then pick it up and throw it to a friend a few paces away, then go for a walk with it, a reasonably cheap FM radio should do that no bother without losing signal, are there any DAB radios that will do that ?

Well car radios tend to be a bit pricier, and as far, I know they have extra electronics to cater for the vehicles movement disrupting the signal and I wouldn't really call them portable.

For me portable is something you carry.

You can get an FM radio for a fiver that fits on a keyring and gives reasonable reception while you wander around.

A basic test would be put the radio down, turn it on and tune it in, then pick it up and throw it to a friend a few paces away, then go for a walk with it, a reasonably cheap FM radio should do that no bother without losing signal, are there any DAB radios that will do that ?

Wouldn't be a friend for long! :|

There used to be a problem with DAB in that you couldn't move the radio without losing the signal.

So "portable" meant you could move it somewhere, put it down then listen to it rather than carry it about in your pocket and listen at the same time.

Has this problem been solved now ?

Yes. My car radio switches over to (and picks up) whichever signal for the desired station is strongest- even if that's FM.

Wouldn't be a friend for long! :|
Why not ?

I did say "to" not "at"

Yes. My car radio switches over to (and picks up) whichever signal for the desired station is strongest- even if that's FM.
Yes but as I said, I believe car radio systems have extra electronics to cater for bad signals, you've just described what it does. And again a car radio is not a portable radio.

There used to be a problem with DAB in that you couldn't move the radio without losing the signal.

So "portable" meant you could move it somewhere, put it down then listen to it rather than carry it about in your pocket and listen at the same time.

Has this problem been solved now ?

I have a little Roberts digital portable. It is small enough to fit in my pocket. Reception is excellent. It has a rechargeable battery that lasts for about five hours.

Much better than a VHF radio:), which always needs aligning in the proper direction.

Archived