Top Tory says they should consider pact with UKIP

An economist who works for the Daily Telegraph: Tim Congdon.

See UKIP's website where his Report is available: http://www.timcongdon4ukip.com/docs/UKIP%20Cost%20of%20the%20EU.pdf

But then The Guardian would scarcely be giving his findings any publicity.

he's hardly an independant source.

and some of his costs do seem a bit notional and unquantifiiable.

i do have a couple of questions, i had a quick browse through the document but couldn't see anything to answer these.

in his figures for the cost of regulation, did he take into account the fact that the uk government tends to go beyond the minimum required to implement the directive, so the cost of regulation is really the cost of the eu part plus the cost of additional uk gold plating.

also, in his anti-immigration bit, did he consider why employers choose to employ immigrants over non-immigrants? and whether the costs of making non-immigrant labour attractive to employers would be more or less than his notional cost?

we wouldn't have a veto if we were outside the eu, and if we were only a half-member then i imagine that any veto we had would be confined to a very small number of things.

The idea is to negotiate a suitable guaranteed deal now, when we do have a veto. If the deals right then lack of vetos over stuff that does not concern us isn't an issue.

all the law in this country is made by parliament.

there is a long and tortuous process by which eu directives are passed involving the eu commission, the european parliament and the council of ministers, it's then down to the individual government to implement local laws which enact that legislation. some countries, and the uk is noted for this, go beyond the minimum required to enact the directive.

we elect the european parliament directly, we indirectly elect the council of ministers. if we had more and saner media coverage of this process then maybe they would make better directives and we would understand how the whole things works. perhaps we should also take the european parliament elections far more seriously than we seem to.

Or perhaps we should let them make whatever regulations they want without our input, but have a legal guarantee that we don't have to implement them if parliament do not approve them.

On the eve of the Rotherham by-election, latest odds from Ladbrokes have Labour at odds on favourite with the extremists UKIP and Respect, well behind at 8-1 and 6-1 respectively.

Labour 1-6

Cons 100-1

Ukip 8-1

LibDems 100-1

Respect 6-1

BNP 100-1.

Maybe the UKIP vote will be supressed following the talks of a possible pact with the Cons?

On the eve of the Rotherham by-election, latest odds from Ladbrokes have Labour at odds on favourite with the extremists UKIP and Respect, well behind at 8-1 and 6-1 respectively.

Labour 1-6

Cons 100-1

Ukip 8-1

LibDems 100-1

Respect 6-1

BNP 100-1.

Maybe the UKIP vote will be supressed following the talks of a possible pact with the Cons?

Labour are the extremists in Rotherham for taking those foster children away from that couple for the reasons they did. :loopy:

Labour 1-6

Cons 100-1

Ukip 8-1

LibDems 100-1

Respect 6-1

BNP 100-1.

You would perhaps gain some credibility if you checked the definition of words like 'extremist'.

I like the idea of having no credibility in your eyes.

Do you think the Cons will join up with UKIP for the next election?

I think it would be a good thing for where our national policies should sit, but no, I doubt that it will happen.

Archived