• 201-500
    • 501-1000
    • 1001-2000
    • 2001-3000
    • 3001-4000
    • 4001-5000
    • 5001-10 000
    • 10 000+

When I moved house, not long ago, I thought to myself that I would have a good clearout of books, and donate them to charity.

When all were sorted out, I had 19 books to donate to charity and 21 large boxes of books to take to my new place - the delivery men suggested I bought a Kindle.

I don't understand. How does the number of books people own relate to a lack of affordable housing? I can't even see how it demonstrates that all land ownership is theft.

He'll be waiting for the moment to suggest you chuck out all your books and let him live rent free in the space saved and growing cannabis on paper mulch compost.:)

When me (Den) and My O/H (Lin) First got together and I moved in with her when we marraid I had to sell Over 2500 books all of witch I had read and over the years have built it back up too over 900 only a very few I have not read yet .

My writen english may be rubbish I can not spell for toffee but I would be at a total loss if I cound not read I would love to know how many words I read in lets so 57 years me being 61 now.:hihi::hihi:

I've bought hundreds of books which I haven't read nor intend reading. Overall we probably have between 500 - 800 books in the house. If I'd known about this thread earlier I could have been more precise as I've just spent 3 hours moving all the books out of our library into the bathroom in preparation for a new carpet being laid.

I call it our library as we have a 30 foot by 9 foot extension over the garage split into 2 rooms, 10 foot for a bathroom the rest a long room containing a dining area and an area which is devoted to bookshelves.

As to why I buy books which I never will read, work it out.

I can only think that they would be for someone else to read. Otherwise it's just a waste.

I've read all mine. I keep those that I'm "attached" to. If a book is just a throwaway holiday read it will find its way to Oxfam or another charity shop or the book trolley at work. If I feel an emotional bond with it I'll keep it, even though I may never read it again. Odd, and hard to explain but...it's the reason I'll never stop buying physical books.

Some on my shelves I've read 2,3,4, 10 times.

Me too, although I only keep books I will read again. I have a tiny house and books are the things I have problems storing. I am happy to give away everything else but not my beautiful (and cheap second hand battered) books. Sometimes I am too worried to lend my copy to someone so if I really want them to read something I buy them a copy instead:loopy:

Not got that many books in the house but always got a book on the go. I use the library to get my books - I do occasionally buy one though. I would say that I read a book every fortnight.

Going to the library helps me to read books by different authors from those that I would choose if I bought online as I know that if the book is no good, I can return it and it's cost me nowt. That said, there's only ever been one book that I haven't finished in the last year or two - and that was one from an author that I liked (Ian Rankin).

Archived