• 1001-2000
    • 2001-3000
    • 3001-4000
    • 4001-5000
    • 5001-10 000
    • 10 000+

How many books do you own?

How many is too many?

How many do you reckon you will read in your lifetime? Is there any point in owning more than you could possibly read?

To be honest I have a lot of books now but as they are on Kindle (electronic) I dont believe I own them. I remember reading somewhere George Cloony is taking Amazon to court over it.

However I read more now since the Kindle has come out. I prefer to read stuff electronically.

• 1 month later...

I've not got all that many books. I agree with most of you in they look great all stacked up in a shelf, as much a pastiche of who you are as a compendium of knowledge.

After finding a good book i like to keep it with me, like a friend that i can consult from time to time. the best books are worth keeping.

Not got that many books in the house but always got a book on the go. I use the library to get my books - I do occasionally buy one though. I would say that I read a book every fortnight.

Going to the library helps me to read books by different authors from those that I would choose if I bought online as I know that if the book is no good, I can return it and it's cost me nowt. That said, there's only ever been one book that I haven't finished in the last year or two - and that was one from an author that I liked (Ian Rankin).

I do a lot of my reading out of the library as well. I like that you can pick up a few "possibles" and give them a go, doesn't matter if you don't like it. You never know what you might stumble across.

Also use an e-reader if the library doesn't stock what I want, or if I want to read on the go.

There's probably a couple of hundred books in the house, but that's after a serious cull when we moved house - I've kept travel books, cookery books, atlases, the odd favourite novel, that kind of thing. But on the whole I really dislike having too much clutter and would rather pass on books for someone else to read when I've finished with them.

A question for people with hundreds of books - do they have to be kept in optimum conditions? Do they get damp / mouse infested / become dust traps? I really think I've watched too much "Kim and Aggie" over the years - got a bit of a phobia about collecting too much stuff!

A question for people with hundreds of books - do they have to be kept in optimum conditions? Do they get damp / mouse infested / become dust traps?

Mine are up in the loft, in cardboard boxes. I go up and sort them out every now and again and bring down ones I'd consider reading again.

Mine are up in the loft, in cardboard boxes. I go up and sort them out every now and again and bring down ones I'd consider reading again.

Ah, a loft-hoarder! That's what I'm trying to avoid! As long as your floorboards are up the the job:)

A question for people with hundreds of books - do they have to be kept in optimum conditions? Do they get damp / mouse infested / become dust traps? I really think I've watched too much "Kim and Aggie" over the years - got a bit of a phobia about collecting too much stuff!

They do get damp and musty if the house is damp, and something else you have to watch for is woodworm and other wood boring insects. I had a case of this many years ago (because I buy a lot of second hand ones) and I was told that the way to avoid it is to put them in the freezer. So when I get some new ones I stick them in a resealable airtight bag and freeze them for a few days, then warm them back to room temperature, then freeze them for another few days. You have to do it twice because the first freezing will kill any live insects but eggs can survive it, whereas if you freeze them down again it kills the eggs too. Might sound a bit of a faff but it seems to work.

I own too many, but not enough... :hihi:

I have shedloads of books, but I've been having a cull of books I doubt I'll be reading again, which have been bagged up for the charity-shop run.

I also "don't have enough", because I absolutely love books and reading, and IMO you cannot have "too many" books.

The sheer delight of sinking into a new book, in the same way as you sink into a lovely, hot bath, and let the words lap around you, and the story entices you as the plot twists and turns... Absolutely my idea of heaven. (Actually, sinking into a hot bath, with a book is my idea of heaven, too.)

Books... *le sigh*...

Archived