Increased house insurance premiums to subsidise flood victims

I remember seeing a news article about the costs of repairing a flood damaged house, the camera's took a tour of one such house showing the floorboards had been removed, the walls were back to bare brick and the heaters had been going full blast to dry it out. This house was also being refurbished and the network of new wires still being installed below the floor was noticable. I thought to myself why on earth when the repairs are so extensive are they not thinking ahead and so doing things to limit the damage if the house floods again.

I don't know where you found this load of rubbish because it is utter nonsense. But I await your lnk with interest..

For several years there has been an agreement between government and insurance companies about providing flood insurance for properties liable to flooding. It came about because planning for many houses had been given in at risk areas. This agreement has a year to run and the current government is in talks with insurers about how to extend the scheme.

Here is my link to the DEFRA site which proves you are talking nonsense.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/publications/files/pb13684-flood-risk-insurance.pdf

One of the things being negotiated between insurers and the government is a levy on households at low risk.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/11/22/uk-insurance-flood-idUKBRE8AL0SC20121122

Under Flood Re, drawn up by the insurance industry, households at low risk would pay a levy of up to 20 pounds a year into a fund which would cover claims from high-risk homes. The taxpayer would act as insurer of last resort in the event of an extreme flood that exhausted the capacity of the fund.

If you have car insurance you are already paying extra to cover claims caused by people who have no insurance.Perhaps the same for buildings and contents cover ?

It's slightly different in that with motor insurance it's not the non paying driver who will benefit but his "victim"...with house insurance it'd be the non paying householder who would benefit..

Archived