The Churchyard Murder - Jan 1961

Bushbaby

I have some newspaper cuttings (The Star) from the time when the murder was discovered and when the perp went to trial. He was sentenced to hang.

I'm not sure that's correct. My info says he got life and went to Armley??

I'd be interested in seeing the cuttings though

I'm not sure that's correct. My info says he got life and went to Armley??

I'd be interested in seeing the cuttings though

You're absolutely right. I must have confused it with another murder back then. The Star Feb 27/61 reports that Canadian born (oh, dear!) George Henry David Sutton, aged 31 of Hawley Street was sentenced to life imprisonment for the murder of Mrs. Jean Mellor, age 26, also of Hawley Street. Sutton was a crane driver.

You're absolutely right. I must have confused it with another murder back then. The Star Feb 27/61 reports that Canadian born (oh, dear!) George Henry David Sutton, aged 31 of Hawley Street was sentenced to life imprisonment for the murder of Mrs. Jean Mellor, age 26, also of Hawley Street. Sutton was a crane driver.

Thanks Rog. I recently found out that Sutton's maternal ancestry was Native American. Paternal was pure Sheffield though and he'd lived here from a very young age. I'll dig out the Star at Central Library and have a read.

• 5 years later...

Hi I have just joined the forum and found this article about the murder of Jean Mellor in 1961. She was my aunts, married to uncle bill Mellor, I remember the murder well. I am searching for more information about the mellor family. My father being Joseph, married to Eliza Windle of Burton Street.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎28‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 14:20, Brokenpa said:

Hi I have just joined the forum and found this article about the murder of Jean Mellor in 1961. She was my aunts, married to uncle bill Mellor, I remember the murder well. I am searching for more information about the mellor family. My father being Joseph, married to Eliza Windle of Burton Street.

hi im  mary bill and jean daughter im still in Sheffield but I visit cornwall every august would luv to meet

• 4 months later...

Hi Mary, I'm doing my family tree and just looking down this line.  I believe i would be your 2nd Cousin.  Jean was my mums cousin my mum was the daughter of John and Agnes Simpkins.  I believe your Grandmother would have been born Ellen Simpkins (My Grandad's sister).