Welfare to Work scheme misses its target

The government's flagship welfare-to-work programme has failed to hit its main target, official figures show.

Under the scheme, firms and charities are paid to help find jobs for the long-term unemployed.

It seems that A4E and all the others have raided the public coffers but have failed to make an impact on people getting sustained employment.

BBC political editor Nick Robinson said failing to hit the target meant "as many unemployed are getting sustainable jobs as if the work programme had never existed".

Was it ever designed to get the unemployed (especially the long term) into employment, or was it a means of massaging the figures?

After all, where are the jobs supposed to come from?

Having worked in this area in the past, many of the long term unemployed clients have virtually no hope of getting work anyway, I had people in my classes who had been unemployed since the 1970s. They had simply been shoved onto incapacity, or other benefits to hide them from the official lists.

If you are in your 50s, never worked where are you going to find work? you can;t work in McDonalds because a younger, more energetic person is always better for that type of work. You can't get a job higher up the scale because you never had a job for 30 years (not a good thing to admit at an interview) and you cannot do manual physical labour in your 50s because a young 20something person will be better at that type of work anyway.

Would be more humane to leave there people to their benefits for the rest of there lifes, learn from the mistakes of the last 30 years and focus all the energy on the young/or people who want to return to the workplace.

Shhhhh I wonder why none of the usual bully suspects mentioned this. It just confirms what everyone knew all along, these businesses exist purely to be given money at the taxpayers expense, push people around and to massage the unemployment figures instead of creating meaningful jobs which people need.

Many companies did take advantage of the free labour on offer. Some of my students had their dinners paid for (yes a turkey sandwich from Greggs) and of course not forgetting one very generous employer who rewarded one the students on my course with a free coat and pair of jeans after completing the 3 week work placement.

Of course, if the placements offered actual work even at the minimum wage, then the students would be able to buy their own turkey sandwich and buy their own jeans and coat out of the money they were paid via work.

BUt of course from the employers point of view a daily sandwich at £2 a day is cheaper than paying someone £6.19 an hour for a days work

Alot of the unemployed don't want to work, these schemes are set to fail.

If benefits were lower, and the feckless couldn't afford their fags, booze, weed, sky TV and holidays then i'm sure they would jump at the chance to work.

As it is alot of the unemployed are just sponges on society.

If benefits were lower, and the feckless couldn't afford their fags, booze, weed, sky TV and holidays then i'm sure they would jump at the chance to work.

I doubt that very much. Some will be and there will always be people like that no matter what, but I suspect most people on benefits don't want to be unemployed. Recently there have been attempts to villify the unemployed and certain sections of society http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20431729

I'm working with job seekers at the moment and I can tell you there isn't one who isn't desperate to work. They spend at least 2 hours a day searching on Universal Jobmatch, Monster, Totaljobs, you name it, they search on it.

They're made to jump through all manner of hoops to earn their benefits & know full well that the jobs just aren't there.

Most jobs are advertised on at least 3 jobsearch websites & the links simply take you to an agency, not a job. Once you register with the agency, you find that a large number of the jobs don't actually exist, but are placed there to encourage you to register with the agency.

Added to that, they are despised by all sorts of ignorant idiots, who are well-represented on here, who have no idea of their circumstances or their desperation.

I don't wish ill on anyone, but would just like to see one of you self-righteous name-callers lose your job for about 6 months & then come back on here & tell us all about dole-scrounging.

Hmm, my son has just had 11 months on the dole, applying for jobs and not even getting the courtesy of a reply (as others can testify to), he then was put on a course by JC where he went on a hygiene course for 2 weeks, got certificated & then did 2 weeks at McDonald's.

He got no extra money, just a bus pass & his benefits, it has lead to a job okay 25 hours, but a job. He is 26 he's not feckless, doesn't smoke, drink or do weed and doesn't have sky.

Yet you see fit to label all unemployed as no good, shame on you, I hope you never have to sign on. A lot do want to work, it's just "some" that don't, so please don't tar with same brush.

Archived