Welfare to Work scheme misses its target

I'm working with job seekers at the moment and I can tell you there isn't one who isn't desperate to work. They spend at least 2 hours a day searching on Universal Jobmatch, Monster, Totaljobs, you name it, they search on it.

They're made to jump through all manner of hoops to earn their benefits & know full well that the jobs just aren't there.

Most jobs are advertised on at least 3 jobsearch websites & the links simply take you to an agency, not a job. Once you register with the agency, you find that a large number of the jobs don't actually exist, but are placed there to encourage you to register with the agency.

Added to that, they are despised by all sorts of ignorant idiots, who are well-represented on here, who have no idea of their circumstances or their desperation.

I don't wish ill on anyone, but would just like to see one of you self-righteous name-callers lose your job for about 6 months & then come back on here & tell us all about dole-scrounging.

I hope they are being directed to local authority websites too? There are caretaking jobs -some with a house! as well as clerical and admin, IT, teaching support and various part time vacancies in Sheffield schools. https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/whats-new/job-vacancies

I'm genuinely sorry for anyone who wants to work but can't find a job. I've had members of my family in that situation in the past, and there was little help for them. I'm glad there are people working to try and help people into the workplace, but its worrying how low the success rate is.

However, there are people finding work, I know of people recently who've found jobs. They weren't in any Welfare to Work scheme though. One has children and a wife with a full-time job, and although her income wasn't huge, it was enough that the family couldn't claim any benefits. So I suppose he wouldn't be counted in the 'back to work' figures when he found a job.

Yep that company has now turned the corner and all the workers are back full time I think..if it's the same on eI saw..an animal feed supplement maunfacturer...

As for the other bit..are the people on the A4E sort of things sill getting JSA? If so then they'll still be recorded as unemployed won't they..again genuine question..

I don't think they are recorded as unemployed once they are in a placement.

---------- Post added 29-11-2012 at 20:20 ----------

I hope they are being directed to local authority websites too? There are caretaking jobs -some with a house! as well as clerical and admin, IT, teaching support and various part time vacancies in Sheffield schools. https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/whats-new/job-vacancies

I'm genuinely sorry for anyone who wants to work but can't find a job. I've had members of my family in that situation in the past, and there was little help for them. I'm glad there are people working to try and help people into the workplace, but its worrying how low the success rate is.

However, there are people finding work, I know of people recently who've found jobs. They weren't in any Welfare to Work scheme though. One has children and a wife with a full-time job, and although her income wasn't huge, it was enough that the family couldn't claim any benefits. So I suppose he wouldn't be counted in the 'back to work' figures when he found a job.

jobcentre staff used to do that and it's interesting that the new oursourced private services are no more successful.

It seems to me that we are really looking at a massive example of public sector waste. There are more people helping people into work now than ever before, costing a lot more than ever before. The difference is that much of the funding for doing it is diverted to questionable and barely accountable private sector companies with track records of systemic fraud.

Archived