How Much Would You Pay For A Car?

I,ve just been to Mercedes Meadowhall to have a small job doing on my car,in the waiting room you can watch into the working garage area through a full length window.As I was talking to an old pal who worked there a beautiful sports car drove in for its first service,it was a model I hadn,t seen before very large and powerful looking,so I asked him how much it cost"Around 80grand maybe""Double it" he said.It was £165000 he had sold it himself and the man had paid cash also buying another model at the same time!.Now I am a car nut but come on you would be scared to park it up as well drive it,I don,t think I would blow that much cash on a car even if I was loaded,by the way it did 12miles to the gallon.How much would anyone on the Forum pay for a car in these austere times??.:huh::confused:

About £2500 tops, but then cars are certainly not a priority for me, never have been.

I can't stomach the loss you take on a new car, and something that does 12mpg is an indulgence I don't think the planet can afford, even if some individuals can.

I,ve just been to Mercedes Meadowhall to have a small job doing on my car,in the waiting room you can watch into the working garage area through a full length window.As I was talking to an old pal who worked there a beautiful sports car drove in for its first service,it was a model I hadn,t seen before very large and powerful looking,so I asked him how much it cost"Around 80grand maybe""Double it" he said.It was £165000 he had sold it himself and the man had paid cash also buying another model at the same time!.Now I am a car nut but come on you would be scared to park it up as well drive it,I don,t think I would blow that much cash on a car even if I was loaded,by the way it did 12miles to the gallon.How much would anyone on the Forum pay for a car in these austere times??.:huh::confused:

If someone can afford it I don't see the problem. There are loads of people who can't afford it but spend more than that on a lifetime of cigarettes. I doubt someone spending £165K on a car is depriving his family of anything.

The guy could have just won the lottery, how do you know his circumstances and who are you to judge?

That would have been an SLS you'd seen.

It's an absolute brute of a car and makes a truly epic noise.

Having said that it's abit of a handful and there are faster things out there for similar or less money.

How much would anyone on the Forum pay for a car in these austere times?
I've been in the market for 2 cars since October, kept changing my mind as to what to go for. Moving from a Volvo estate (sold) and a MX5 roadster (retired). In the end, I decided for 1 new-ish family-sized decent one and 1 old-ish family sized not-so-decent one. Bought an '07 C220 merc on 30kmiles for £8k, and now in the market for a cheap subaru as a second car, looking to spend about £4k tops. Going to see a couple at the weekend.

Could afford newer/better on the pump, but I don't like to owe people money, and though I like my motors, I'm getting old enough to appreciate more how fast such assets depreciate than how good I look driving them :D

Everybody will have a different answer and it's all down to personal choice, personal finances and personal situation.

Personally my budget would depend on the type of car: Family car, mid life crisis car, personal dream car, etc, etc. and would be anywhere between £20k and £50k new or used.

Done the old land rover thingy Ian....cost two grand to buy and two and a half to repair over two years.

£3200 got me a decent motor that does 60 to the gallon compared to the 24 out of the Landy.

3 grand...ish is the tops I'd pay for a car.

The £165k car would likely to be this one then:

http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/content/unitedkingdom/mpc/mpc_unitedkingdom_website/en/home_mpc/passengercars/home/new_cars/amg_showroom/s_65_amg/s65_amg.flash.html

Official mpg figures show 13mpg urban and 28 extra urban with just under 20 combined. So, around the hilly side of Sheffield 12 mpg would be about right.

Would I pay that amount? If money was no object then yes. At the moment - no. Still driving our eight year old banger.

I wouldn't buy that car though. My views are that oil reserves are something that we should be stretching to go as far as possible - but that's my view. It would be a sad world if we were all the same.

Archived