Are you a driver that doesn't use your headlights, if yes why?

Rubbish. A bit of rain doesnt mean poor visibility. People with their lights on are just as likely to cause accidents by dazzling oncoming drivers.

If i can still see other cars in the distance without their lights on, i dont put mine on.

during the day, when its light, headlights, and main beam are less dazzling than at night because the difference between ambient light and the headlights is vastly smaller

I agreed with this, but still not in any way difficult to see.

In my experience pedestrians and cyclists are more difficult to see when I have headlights shining in my eyes, maybe bright lights don’t affect your vision.

I've never noticed this, I don't think it happens to me.

We are all different, you obviously cope better with bright lights than I do, I have the same problem when the sun in my eyes, it makes other road users more difficult to see.

Nor does it require that cars not use them.

I didn't say it does, but using them unnecessarily does hinder some road users and does use more fuel and does create more CO2.

Rubbish. A bit of rain doesnt mean poor visibility. People with their lights on are just as likely to cause accidents by dazzling oncoming drivers.

If i can still see other cars in the distance without their lights on, i dont put mine on.

A bit of rain now or recently might mean a window and/or a door mirror covered in beads of water in your car or in someone else's car.

Would you like to be visible in someone else's mirror through the beads of water? The answer might make the decision between lights or no lights for you in multi-lane situations.

A bit of rain now or recently might mean a window and/or a door mirror covered in beads of water in your car or in someone else's car.

Would you like to be visible in someone else's mirror through the beads of water? The answer might make the decision between lights or no lights for you in multi-lane situations.

Light rain certainly doesn't mean that headlights are always required though.

In my experience pedestrians and cyclists are more difficult to see when I have headlights shining in my eyes, maybe bright lights don’t affect your vision.

In the daytime they don't seem all that bright. Not compared to the large ball of fire we (sometimes) have in the sky.

We are all different, you obviously cope better with bright lights than I do, I have the same problem when the sun in my eyes, it makes other road users more difficult to see.

When it's low down, yes, it can dazzle, but it's a lot brighter than headlights.

I didn't say it does, but using them unnecessarily does hinder some road users and does use more fuel and does create more CO2.

I'm not convinced it hinders anyone significantly, but it does use power and thus petrol and so it does produce CO2 as you say.

In the daytime they don't seem all that bright. Not compared to the large ball of fire we (sometimes) have in the sky.

I agree one doesn't make a lot of difference but when you have a stream of cars all with their headlights on it does make a deference, headlights make it more difficult to see pedestrians on the right hand side of the road. Today I had a car approaching me with its lights on, I would have seen the car quite easily without its lights and the van that was following it, but because the car had its lights on I couldn’t see the van until it got much closer.

When it's low down, yes, it can dazzle, but it's a lot brighter than headlights.
I agree, it’s brighter but that doesn't alter the fact that many headlights shining in your eyes make smaller dark objects harder to see.

I'm not convinced it hinders anyone significantly,

On occasions it does so we will just have to agree to disagree.

Archived