Are you a driver that doesn't use your headlights, if yes why?

I turn my lights on when it’s necessary, unfortunately many people feel it is necessary long before it is, so turn them on much earlier than I, then there are the sheep that turn theirs on just because some else as them on.

If it's poor enough visibility to put your wipers on, it's poor enough to put the lights on...

Surely it's better to be visible and be proactive in preventing accidents?

The "sidelights" are meant to be daytime running lights and are supposed to switch off when the main lights are activated

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ACArticleDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&articleId=809953&categoryId=245215

They are not side lights.

My car was new in December 2011,,it has no lights that come on automatically..are we saying that Mr Ford is producing unroadworthy cars? Or is Mr Halford trying to sell stuff?

My car was new in December 2011,,it has no lights that come on automatically..are we saying that Mr Ford is producing unroadworthy cars? Or is Mr Halford trying to sell stuff?

Not in the least, i have a Mazda 8 weeks old with no DRL's - some manufacturers,especially Scandinavians are fitting them, some other brands have them.

I pointed to the Halfords site for the legal UK stuff not their sales pitch btw.

When driving along in gloomy conditions maybe its raining as well, there is always a few drivers who don't have their headlights on when almost everybody else does and I mean dipped beam headlights not sidelights, are you one of these people if so why?

Is it because it isn't official lighting up time yet, i.e. the street lights aren't on, are your headlights not working properly and you don't want the police to know, are you saving electricity, do you not think their needed as you can see everybody else perfectly well (as they do have their headlights on).

I think that is most probably correct in most cases. In a word, stupidity.

Not in the least, i have a Mazda 8 weeks old with no DRL's - some manufacturers,especially Scandinavians are fitting them, some other brands have them.

I pointed to the Halfords site for the legal UK stuff not their sales pitch btw.

Yeah I know why you used the Halfords site..I was just trying to be facetious..sorry..

When I read this

"As of 7th February 2011* DRLs have become a mandatory fitting to all new type approved passenger vehicles..."

It sounds as though all new cars should be fitted with them..am I missing something?

Yeah I know why you used the Halfords site..I was just trying to be facetious..sorry..

When I read this

"As of 7th February 2011* DRLs have become a mandatory fitting to all new type approved passenger vehicles..."

It sounds as though all new cars should be fitted with them..am I missing something?

I guess that means that if the vehicle was type approved after Feb 2011 it mus have DRLs. If your actual car is newer than that, but the model was type approved before Feb 2011, it may or may not have them.

I believe you can turn them off with the correct diagnostic computer.

I think the dash being always lit is part of it, whoever said that. In my previous cars, you could leave the side lights on when you stopped the engine by pressing a little button next to the key which allowed you to turn the key backwards before removing it - that left the side lights on. I never used it, but it means that if you stop the car normally, the lights go off regardless of what the switch says. For November to about March I just left the lights on.

My current car doesn't do that - when you stop it and take the key out the lights stay on until you turn the switch. So I have to turn them off each time I stop the car. I will admit to not turning them on as early as I would like sometimes as I've forgotten. If the dash didn't light up without them that wouldn't happen.

I don't get the people who don't drive with lights in low sun either, particularly on Sheffield's hills. A dark car with a low sun behind it, coming down a hill so the car is effectively against a dark background, is almost invisible.

Archived