Are you a driver that doesn't use your headlights, if yes why?

I drive with my headlights on all the time, just to increase my visibility to other road users and pedestrians a little bit. If it saves one accident then it's worth doing.

It seems to irritate some other drivers who flash their lights at me as if I'm doing something wrong. I have no idea why they do this, any ideas? :confused:

How about the part where you're not to have to them on - causing distress or discomfort to other road users.

How about when it goes dark?

Haven't you noticed that they become more visible under the street lights? It’s that period just before the street lights come on that pedestrians and cyclist are at their most vulnerable, because they are more difficult to see especially when drivers have their head lights on.

How about the part where you're not to have to them on - causing distress or discomfort to other road users.

What part is that? Is it a part of the Highway Code? And how does having your headlights on cause distress or discomfort to other road users? I can understand having them on beam would be a bad thing, but dipped?

In Northern European countries like Germany, Norway and Sweden it's mandatory to drive with your headlights on at all times. I think it's a good idea.

I used to put my car headlights on quite a lot when some people would say it is not needed, like when it was raining or twilight.

I do dislike people who use fog lights unnecessarily and those uber-bright lights that hurt my head. How bright do they really need to be? :suspect:

What part is that? Is it a part of the Highway Code? And how does having your headlights on cause distress or discomfort to other road users? I can understand having them on beam would be a bad thing, but dipped?

In Northern European countries like Germany, Norway and Sweden it's mandatory to drive with your headlights on at all times. I think it's a good idea.

https://www.gov.uk/general-rules-all-drivers-riders-103-to-158/lighting-requirements-113-to-116

I'm not saying you do cause discomfort but you never know these days.

Thats the point of DRL's, to drive with lights on at all times.

Haven't you noticed that they become more visible under the street lights? It’s that period just before the street lights come on that pedestrians and cyclist are at their most vulnerable, because they are more difficult to see especially when drivers have their head lights on.

I find that my headlights illuminate them, allowing me to avoid running them over.

Must not use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users (see Rule 226).

In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.

Here's another can of worms for you:hihi:

I find that my headlights illuminate them, allowing me to avoid running them over.

Then your headlights differ from mine because when mine are on during the day I can't see them and they don't illuminate anything. They might make my car more visible but because pedestrian tend not to have lights they become less visible.

Archived