Are you a driver that doesn't use your headlights, if yes why?

Have you read your car's manual about the auto setting.

I think you'll find it says something like:

"MANUFACTURER guarantees that when you light sensor decides it's dull enough for the lights to come on there will be no-one ahead that thinks you are flashing them out".

Well maybe not.

Why would they think I'm flashing them? Would these same motorists think I was flashing them if I turned the lights on manually? :confused:

Why would they think I'm flashing them? Would these same motorists think I was flashing them if I turned the lights on manually? :confused:

They might if they were hoping for/expecting a flash to let them out - one driver came on an NDIS course for rear-ending another who decided to emerge in just this circumstance. Maybe a 1:1000000 chance but why take the chance with "auto" setting? (Why do the manufacturers introduce such electronic gizmos that are really not very useful and yet put other very useful electrical add-ons only on high-end cars - I'm thinking of pulsing brake lights on heavy braking)

I sat with another driver who put his lights on in drizzle just short of Birley Moor garden centre and the car that came to the exit of the garden centre right at that moment came straight out, taking the "signal" to be for him presumably.

So, yes, drivers do respond unhealthily to lights being turned on or "flashed" so I don't flash and am very circumspect as to when I turn my lights on and would never drive on auto setting.

I always drive with my headlights on whenever they are needed. I would suggest that drivers do the "see" test. Look at vehicles on the opposite carriageway to you then decide which of those vehicles you can actually "see" - is it the one with the dipped headlights or is it the car without or using "side" lights? I think you might find that the ones you can actually see without any effort are the cars with dipped headlights.

I would much rather that other drivers can see me than drive in poor weather conditions without any lights on at all or just my daylight running lights and NOT be seen!

I agree that fog lights should be turned OFF when there is no fog - there is nothing worse than driving behind these cars and being dazzled.

Have you read your car's manual about the auto setting.

I think you'll find it says something like:

"MANUFACTURER guarantees that when you light sensor decides it's dull enough for the lights to come on there will be no-one ahead that thinks you are flashing them out".

Well maybe not.

They don't flick on and off, they come on and stay on, how could that be perceived as a flash?

They don't flick on and off, they come on and stay on, how could that be perceived as a flash?

Have you never almost been misled by a flash when it actually was caused by a speed bump?

Is there a standard length of flash that drivers look for?

My point was simply that if a driver is hoping for such a signal any length of raised beam for whatever reason could be acted upon.

In any case, I'd like drivers to have full control of the signals they give in order to communicate effectively with other road users AND be aware of the confusion and misleading messages that can result from certain signals.

Is the design of your car less <1 year old, because it's the sign off of the design that is important, not when the car was physically built.

That's not what frededwards said..he's the guy I'm quoting...he said "made in the past 2 or 3 years"... as a pedant you should appreciate that :D

I leave the automatic sensor on for the car to decide. Sometimes it's really sensitive and will turn itself on going under a bridge for a second (which maybe the car in front would think was a flash if he saw it?), but then sometimes it doesn't... It works for me anyway. I don't understand why people, when it is dark or incredibly heavy rain, would not want to be seen!

Archived