Will other countries be sending money to our flood victims ?

A wealthy country like china doesn't take care of its own people, look at the factory fire they just had, over 100 young workers were locked in, no fire escape exits for them, my sons over there often, he says the factory ceiling sprinklers are all fake made out of paper mâché , in the welding factory the men and women wear face shields made out of cardboard with eye holes cut out.

Because we are one of the first countries to be asked to contribute or start collection funds when other countries have disasters. Sometimes some of this money goes missing,and doesnt end up where it should. Isnt it time other countries helped us for once ?

Why should they if you dont need it? If I came home one day and found the whole house under 3 inches of water from a burst pipe but was well able to cover the costs to repair the damage from my own pocket why would I expect or even ask friends and neighbours to help cover the costs?

The fact that I may helped out a neighbour in the past because that neighbour was not as wealthy or as fortunate as I am in no way obligates that neighbour to have to contribute towards covering my repair costs.

Whereas Bush really did a lot for New Orleans when Katrina struck.

The Governor of Louisiana at that time was a clueless numpty and Bush had appointed another clueless numpty as head of FEMA.

There was every intention to provide all the help needed but it was a case of ineptude on the part of the various agencies involved in getting it to where it was needed. Half the New Orleans police force abandoned their posts and fled which didnt help much either

The other factor is that when you get multiple warnings well beforehand that a bloody great hurricane is headed up the Gulf of Mexico right to your doorstep you'd better take heed and scarper, not look out the window the day before and say 'Nah! cant be. Nice clear blue sky. Those weather guys have got it all wrong"

If you read it fully, you'll see no particular desire to receive help other than physical help, elbow grease if you like. It appeared to be an embarrassment to the establishment, and not popular with the people. We have a history of self sufficiency here, almost isolationism, much as you do.

Arent we ? Thats debatable.

No it isn't. We're one of the richest nations on the planet.

---------- Post added 29-11-2012 at 21:46 ----------

Which ones?

Including those that can't afford it?

I don't think she's going to answer this...

You only get rich if you spend less than you earn. We don't.

That's okay, we're already rich. We're just not getting any richer right now.

Have a look around, you have power, water, internet, street lit tarmaced roads outside, a fire service, A&E, ambulance, police, and so on. There are public facilities too numerous to mention. We waste billions on all sorts of ridiculous projects that the government dream up, so in what way could we not be able to afford to repair the damage from a bit of flooding. Damage that is almost completely insured and where the estimates are in the 10's of millions of pounds worth?

The UK GDP is roughly 1.6 trillion pounds.

The cost of the damage is 0.001 % of our GDP. (If 20 million is accurate).

Archived