Is there any point in a free press..

I just think its a waste of time reading these stories when you can't even trust the bbc news. I think tighter regulation from an independant regulator could make the press more useful. Only if it is done well obviously.

Would it be possible to license journalists and revoke their licenses when they fabricate stories etc?

it should clearly be free from government control but I would like to know they are regulated enough that I actually believe whats written.

Stage 1 could be separating the trash from real news I guess. The trash could be regulated to the point where only nice staged photos of celebrities are allowed and the real news can be as free as it is now.

Why do we have to have the same set of rules for proper journalism and the photographers with super long lenses taking bikini shots?

How do you propose to separate them practically and in the law, and who gets to decide?

You are of course free to not believe anything that comes out of a tabloid.

I just think its a waste of time reading these stories when you can't even trust the bbc news. I think tighter regulation from an independant regulator could make the press more useful. Only if it is done well obviously.

Would it be possible to license journalists and revoke their licenses when they fabricate stories etc?

Libel laws that were accesible to the public would take care of that problem.

If investigative journalism takes place, who is to vet it's 'truth' before it's been published? Is there any way to determine the truth of some things before the press blows the issue wide open?

Probably not. However Prescott suggested a statutory body with three judges who decide if a press story is a whopper or not. It was once suggested in a one off comedy drama 'Mr White Goes to Westminster' that the law should state that if a paper is proven to have lied then it must devote equal space for the victim to write their own article e.g. a Sun headline screaming THIS PAPER IS TRASH for example. Sounds good to me.

How do you propose to separate them practically and in the law, and who gets to decide?

You are of course free to not believe anything that comes out of a tabloid.

are you claiming that only the tabloids mislead and lie? I only read and listen to the bbc generally and they do the same as all the tabloids

Libel laws that were accesible to the public would take care of that problem.

If investigative journalism takes place, who is to vet it's 'truth' before it's been published? Is there any way to determine the truth of some things before the press blows the issue wide open?

suing the tabloid press would be extremely dangerous and prohibitively expensive for your average person. Bear in mind the celebrities were too intimidated to speak out because of the power the press have.

Probably not. However Prescott suggested a statutory body with three judges who decide if a press story is a whopper or not. It was once suggested in a one off comedy drama 'Mr White Goes to Westminster' that the law should state that if a paper is proven to have lied then it must devote equal space for the victim to write their own article e.g. a Sun headline screaming THIS PAPER IS TRASH for example. Sounds good to me.

all you need is judges to decide whether there is enough evidence to give an injunction to halt the story until it can be proven.

I like this idea:D

The trouble with the free speech argument is that for it to be valid you have to accept that the press are out to get at the truth. This is no longer true. They are out to make as much cash as possible. They have massive control over our government and they are proven to lie regularly. I don't know why we should trust them?

Archived