Venus and the moon tonight.

A very bright Venus was visible in the low eastern sky this morning around an hour before sunrise. It was quite a sight. It'll probably be visible in that general position for the next few weeks.

The bright object above Venus is Saturn and then the bright star Spica.

Below left(if visible) is Mercury.

At around 0630 on the 10/11th of December Spica then Saturn, the thinnest crescent Moon, Venus and Mercury will rise in the South East. Of course they will quickly disappear in the dawn light.

So is Venus not prominent tonight then? Did Harestone mean Jupiter when you said Venus? I'm off out to have a look either way.

I think Venus was prominent this morning [on opposite side of sky to the Moon] - in the East shortly before sunrise.

(I'm willing to stand being corrected if I'm wrong though)

I've just had a quick look at the iridium flares online, and can't believe I've never heard of them before. Can't wait til 17.10 tonight, and 17.04 tomorrow. Are they normally that frequent, i.e dailyish?

Yes, several a day sometimes, of varying brightness and interest though.

If you're not familiar with magnitudes (brightness) the ones to look out for are those with the highest minus number, ie -6 is brighter than -5.

Did you catch the 17.10 one btw. ?

Yes, several a day sometimes, of varying brightness and interest though.

If you're not familiar with magnitudes (brightness) the ones to look out for are those with the highest minus number, ie -6 is brighter than -5.

Did you catch the 17.10 one btw. ?

I went out to look at 17.10 and stayed for about 10mins and saw nothing, kept checking still nothing. Are they fast or slow moving, and where in the sky is the one at 17.04 tonight?

Archived